Chapter 9: A Disaster in the Making

Liam's P.O.V

The next day was Sunday, the last day before classes started. I got ready to head to the barn, and quickly checked my emails.

****************************

I make it to the stables, I grabbed Casper's tack, then headed to get him from his stall. I gave him a good brush, then tacked him up for our ride. I led him towards the outdoor arena, as the indoor arena had someone doing a private lesson. I tied Casper to the fence so I could set up some poles, so we could do some groundwork. After I finished setting everything up, I mounted Casper and took him in a few circles around the arena to get him warmed up. I ran him through many exercises, making sure his transitions were good, and that his gate was alright as well. After that, I dismounted gave him some water while I set up a small course. I set up 5 jumps, first a vertical, then an oxer, then after that I set up two cross rails up in a kind of striding jump, and finally I set up a gate. All the jumps were set at 3 feet except the last jump that was set at 4 feet. I mounted Casper and took him around the arena before heading to the first jump. I counted my strides, 1....2....3.... and JUMP! I gave Casper some leg and he went over the jump with ease. I turned him to face the oxer. Casper soared over the oxer, but he took off a little after. Casper regained his stride and I pointed his towards the two cross rails. He jumped the fist cross rail perfectly, but we took off to late and just nicked the second cross rail. I overlooked that jump and focused on the final jump. I counted his strides again, 1...2...3....4...JUMP! We took of perfectly and we landed on the other side clean. But I looked back to see the top rail move a little then settle back in its place. I slowed Casper to a walk to let him catch his breath, then I went to go re set the cross rail. I reset the jump, then paused as I noticed someone standing at the gate with their horse clapping slowly. I walk over to the gate to see who it is.

"wow, nice round...2 nicked rails." Brandon says, crossing his arms staring at me. I place my hands on my hips, and stare at him.

"What are you doing here?" I ask holding Casper still. He smiles at me and turns to pat his horse on the neck.

"Oh, well I was just coming to get some practice in, but I got a show as well I see." He says

"Lucky for you, I'm done. The arenas all yours" I say. He smiles, mounts his horse, and enters the arena. I dismount Casper and head back to the stables. I look back once to see him fly over the oxer perfectly, and it made me sick. I didn't know why he hated me so much, I never did anything to him.

******************************

I cooled off Casper, untacked him, and put him in his stall. I decided to go say hey to Bailey, and give him a few treats

"What are you doing with Bailey?" Someone says, and I jump startled. I turn around to see, Brandon standing there. Man, this kid was everywhere.

"I was just giving him a few treats." I say turning to face him. He glares at me for a second then leans aginst Baileys stall.

"Stay away from Sofia ok, she doesn't need anything distractions from her training." He says.

"WHAT!" That was is I didn't know what I did to him, but he had no right saying that. "I don't distract her from her training if anything you should stay away from her!" I say getting annoyed.

"Me?" He says.

"All you do is hurt her. All you do it hurt her changes on the team, by being around her." I say. Brandon stands up and walks up to me.

"I would never hurt Sofia, and I would never hurt her chances on the team. If I ever see you do anything to her, I swear you'll regret it. Just stay away from her from now on." He says and turns to walk down the aisle. I linger my stare for a little, then look back to Bailey who had woken up and was staring at me.

"What am I going to do?" I say, then giving him a rub on the nose. I walk out of the stable and head to my dorm, to get ready for school tomorrow.

I had finished getting ready for school and taken a shower. My roommate was showering now, so I decided to check my emails. I scrolled through some unread emails and stopped at an email labeled 'Team for the Year'. I opened it and read,

Good evening, I hope you are all doing well! So sorry for the lateness as to getting the teams out this year. We saw tons of amazing talent; at tryouts, this year and we wish we could just put everyone on one team. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way and we do have to divide teams up. Below are the listed teams for the Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced teams. Thank you, all and can't wait to see everyone at future practices!

-Mr. Roy-

I scrolled down to see if I had made the advanced team. There was no way I could have made the beginner teams, so if I didn't see my name on the Advanced list then I was intermediate. I scrolled down to see the list labeled 'Advanced'.

Advanced Team Riders:

Alison Baits

Grayson Reddered

Brandon Miller

Ashlynn Miller

Regan Maldereg

Sofia Myers

Liam Homfeld

I stared at the screen. I had made the team!! I was on the Advanced team, and so was Sofia and Ash. I couldn't belive it! My happiness suddenly faded as I realized...I was on the Advanced team with, Brandon.