Chapter Seven

Nathaly: 

She clutched her stomach for the third time that day, trying to push back the sickly gurgles. Even though they had ridden on Kodiak's creature for days now, her body still hadn't quite gotten used to the sensation of being bounced up and down. Nathaly could see it in Eithan's face too, no matter how hard he tried to avoid it. Kodiak, however, looked perfectly fine and even managed to ride one-handed, though Nathaly suspected it was just to show off.

The forest whizzed past them in a blotchy blur of green and brown. Kodiak looked back at her.

"You can hold onto me, if you aren't feeling well. Should I slow down?"

Nathaly shook her head, even though it made her head spin even faster.

"We need to get there as quick as possible. I'll survive," she said through gritted teeth as another wave of nausea crashed down on her. "And I'm not holding onto you."

Kodiak grinned. "Suit yourself." Her fingers twitched as she looked at Kodiak's broad form. Eithan scoffed from behind her but she ignored him. Ever since he had caught her and Kodiak like that, he had been particularly irritated towards the both of them. Instead, Nathaly focused on her brother. He had mentioned that they were going to meet the three of them at the border, and her excitement upon seeing her brother made up for the churning in her gut. 

"How much longer, Montague?" Eithan grunted. Kodiak didn't even look back.

"Not much farther. If you need to vomit go do it over there." He waved his hand carelessly towards the trees. Eithan didn't respond but Nathaly could feel his anger. She twisted on the back of the large wolf, digging her nails into the soft leather of the saddle to anchor herself.

"Are you purposely trying to get us killed?"

"No, why do you say that?" Eithan crossed his arms. 

"You seem to be trying to instigate a fight literally every minute with him. Can't you just leave it, Eithan? If Kodiak doesn't control that creature it will buck all of us off and will ruin the entire mission." She glared at him. "And we certainly don't want that, do we?" she added some bite into her words to emphasize the point.

But Eithan met her gaze, unflinching and infuriatingly calm. "Why are you defending him, all of sudden, Nathaly? Is it something to do with last night?" 

"Are you jealous?"

"Do you want me to be?" he replied back quickly. Nathaly tossed her hands up in exasperation, but realized her mistake as she started to fall back. Eithan caught her and the both of them were silent for a second. She could feel his breath on her forehead, warm and soothing.

"Thanks," she managed to breathe out before reorienting herself.

"Everything okay?" Kodiak called back.

"I almost fell, and Eithan just caught me. We're good. Keep going." Nathaly's words were clipped, leaving no room for discussion. Kodiak didn't say anything, just nodded stiffly and snapped the reins once more. With a low growl that reverberated in the creature's ribs, it surged forward with a burst of speed that brought tears to her eyes. 

With every leap through the thinning forest, Nathaly regained small pieces of herself. She didn't know what was happening, a swirling cesspool of feelings inside her chest that made her want to explode. She had never felt like this before, not with anyone. It wasn't a bad feeling, just unusual. Nathaly wasn't sure if she wanted it to go away.