Chapter Thirteen

Calum:

Out of all the things he had to do in the Council,  receiving days were the worst. Listening to everyone complain about their miseries in life, things that the Council had no power over. It was a complete waste of his time. 

Calum tapped his fingers on his seat, straightening his back as yet another old farmer hobbled in. 

"Welcome, sir. What are your troubles?" Calum droned, reciting the welcome lines for the millionth time.

"My neighbor stole some of my sheep, my lord. He refuses to ever do so but my son said he saw it." Calum hummed, trying to infuse some interest in his voice.

"What would you like us to do?" Kassandra cut him a wry look at the slight sarcasm in his voice.

"Just-" Suddenly, the doors slammed open, booming through the spacious chamber. Calum's head shot up, and he had to suppress a groan once he saw the two men who stormed towards their elevated platform. 

Lord Kiaan and Alpha Aletris.

The leaders of Clan Montague and Clan Capulet.

Lord Kiaan was a lithe man, taut muscles and a stony face. He's always been an outspoken man which was why Calum hated him. The man didn't know when he was wanted and when he wasn't. Alpha Aletris was quieter but he was the more dangerous of the two. Pure muscle and a will of steel. 

Lord Kiaan strode forward, jostling the old farmer easily out of the way. Ciara, who had come from a humble background and cared for the farmers more than anyone else, made a move to stand. Kolton placed a hand on her forearm as a silent warning.

"Get out of the way." Kiaan snarled, glaring at the old man as he began to speak up. Unable to do anything, the farmer shuffled out of the way. Calum clenched his jaw but didn't speak up. Somehow, Kiaan had massive amounts of power. Calum wished he didn't; a man like him didn't even deserve a penny.

"What can we do, my lords?" Kolton asked, coldly respectful.

Kiaan eyed the Council leader with thinly veiled disgust.

"Where is my daughter?"

"I assure you, we have a capable Novice on it. She has told me they are close on the trail." 

Aletris cut a hand through the air. 

"That is not enough. I want my son back now."

"My lord, Nathaly is exceptional. She will get the job done. You must trust that we know what we're doing."

Kiaan stormed up to the platform, pure anger flashing over her face. Dimitri, who can manifest fire and flame, created a wall of tall flames in front of the platform. He was a soft-spoken man but his power was one not to be tampered with. Kiaan looked enraged at the block and visually snarled at the man.

"If my daughter is not back in two days, I will send out my own men."

"And mine," Aletris included. Kiaan growled at the Montague but said nothing. Dimitri stared at Kiaan, using his flamed hand and height as intimidation.

"Four days." Kiaan glowered at the Council, rage sparking in his dark eyes.

"Four days." He snapped, then dramatically sweeping out of the room. Aletris stayed behind.

"We will make true of our promise," he warned.

"I am aware, my lord." Aletris nodded, satisfied, and followed Kiaan out. Calum turned to Kolton, who just stared icily at the door.

"I hate them," Ciara sneered, tossing her bright red hair over her shoulder.

Calum grunted in agreement then turned to Kolton.

"Can you tell her?"

He jerked his chin, still looking at the door.

"She will know." He offered nothing else so Calum retreated, grateful to be relieved of his duty.