Chapter Eighteen

Nathaly:

A strange peace washed over her as the group move towards the shimmering border. When she had crossed the barrier, she had focused on finishing the mission and claiming her seat on the Council. It was all she's known. But now... she's found something better. Love, companionship, a bright future. 

Nathaly slowed so she could ride besides Kodiak, who sent her an adoring smile.

"Just can't stay away, can you, luv?" He teased. Nathaly cut a scathing glare in his direction, but her anger melted away at his handsome face.

"You'd like that." She bit out sharply. "But no, I was just wondering about something." He made a questioning hum, gesturing for her to continue.

"What happens after?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're the future of the Montague Clan. I'll be a Councilor. We mostly won't meet until absolutely necessary." Understanding dawned and he slowed both their mounts down, keeping considerable distance between the other three. 

"Why do you assume that I'll lead the clan?"

Her features twisted. "Orion won't take it, and you're next in line."

He shook his head, curls bouncing. "I don't want to be Alpha. Orion helped me realize that. I'm going to relinquish the position to my younger cousin, so I can live my life with the one woman who truly matters to me." The breath whooshed out of her chest as she registered her words.

"I'm not sure I can do that." She admitted, feeling guilt press her down.

"If the Council is what matters, we'll make it work. I'll do whatever I need to," he vowed, clasping his hand in hers. "I promise."

"I believe you." She said genuinely, relishing in the sensation of his hand in hers. They crept closer to the barrier and Nathaly inhaled deeply. She could do this. The logic was sound. The mission was to bring the two back into the woods, but it didn't dictate what she could do to help afterwards. Technically, she wouldn't lose her right to a seat on the council. But was it what she really wanted?

"Here we go," Eithan said in a low voice, looking back at the group. Yasmin set her shoulders determinedly, a bright fire raging in her eyes. Nathaly's lips quirked up. The Capulet princess had slowly begun to warm to Nathaly and vice versa. Nathaly could imagine the two being great friends. Assuming they would make it out, that is. Nathaly steeled her will and urged the horse through the azure wall. It bucked slightly but soon adhered to her orders. She shivered as she passed through but sighed as the familiar, warm wetness of the woods greeted her. The inhibitors of the campsite started at her arrival, and of the others, but jumped up to give the news to their masters. Soon, the Council, Alpha Aletris, and Lord Kiaan were all waiting for her. Nathaly gulped and swallowed the lump in her throat. She couldn't go back on her promise to Orion and Yasmin; she had to follow through. 

She strode forward and clutched Kolton's forearm in the traditional greeting.

"Well met." She bowed shallowly at the alpha and the lord. 

"Where is my son?" Aletris demanded.

"And my daughter?" She moved out of the way to make way for Yasmin and Orion, who trudged to their parents.

With their hands entwined confidently. Nathaly smiled softly.

Kiaan eyed their hands in disgust. "So it's true. The Montague has cast some kind of spell on you, daughter."

"But do not forget it was your daughter who committed black magic," Aletris rumbled, a clear warning. 

"She was under his spell!"