Chapter 7

The room was suffocated in deathly silence. Nobody moved. The animals grew quiet and the wind stopped in its tracks. All that was left was the sound of our breathes. Noth's kept growing faster and faster. I glanced up through my teary eyes at him. His face starts to bleed through with a deep red pigment. Percy's eyes stay trained on me even though his father is about to blow a gasket. I think he's skeptical of my 'inability'. 

   "Soter, a word in private," Noth grits through his teeth. His eyes never leaving my sorrow filled ones. His eyes don't grow soft though, like you would expect any normal persons to. He doesn't seem sad with my emotions. He is infuriated. Where is the sympathy? 

    "Of course," my father mutters and stands. He is shaking with every step he and Noth take, but I know full well that it is not fear. He is furious. He is going to literally kill me if they can't negotiate through this. Worst of all is if they do send me home, the rumor of my infertility with spread far and wide. There will be no other suitors wanting my hand in marriage. This is either the best or worse thing I have ever done. 

   After they left the room, I look down the table to my family, Lexing, and Percy."Excuse me. I need to go freshen up," I whimper and look to Percy. I mean I think he kind of takes of the table since Noth is gone. Percy tears his gaze away from his plate, darting his eyes towards me. With a quick flick of his wrist, he goes back to watching his food cool. 

  I stand up and dash for the door. I need a second to myself. I need a second to think of a new and improved game plan. I know my father and Noth with shortly come to an agreement and I need an escape. I hurry back to the entrance and see the restrooms. 

   Once behind the heavy wooden door, I look at myself in the mirror with a cool smile. The baby blue walls reflect in the mirrors along with all the small white details painted tediously on. A gorgeous vase of flowers sits to the side of the counter and in front of the golden framed mirror. 

   I skip up to the mirror to get a better look at myself.  My make up has done an astounding job of staying on but it can't hide the redness anymore. I grab one of the paper towels off to my side and start to harshly rub my eyes, hoping to smear my mascara. Nothing but it did make my eyes more red and puff. 

   I take a look at my ruined dress. It has a few small gashes on it, a much darker and dirtier color than before, and some major sagging from the heavy material. My hair has mainly fallen out of the once elegant bun and now sits loosely and disgustingly down my back. It also looks decently crunchy from drying with salt water in it. Good. It all looks repelling. If I were Percy, I would've sent me home right away. Maybe he is nicer than me!

   A loud bang fills the room as the heavy door comes flying open. My father stalks forward and seizes my arm. He yanks me out of the bathroom and my feet struggle to get back under me due to his pace. He weaves us through the tables, but we don't go back to our dining area. He veers us to the right and to another set of doors. He flings them open and there waits a long, black vehicle. He throws me in then sets down next to me slamming the door. 

    Where are we going? Is the engagement still going on? It must be otherwise I would be heading back to the drop ship. I take a view of the cabin. Nobody else is in here with us. Where is my family? Where is Bidem? I shoot my eyes to my father. He stares out the window leaning back with his arms crossed. His jaw is tightly clenched as he watches the scenery go by. I can't talk to him.

  After a few minutes of complete silence, the vehicle stops and my father opens the door to an enormous estate. No not estate, its a fucking castle. I sit there in awe taking in the limitless height and endless size. I can't see where it ends. How many people live here?

  An extravagant garden surrounds the driveway with vibrant colors and textures. Old stone statues are thrown throughout carelessly, yet each one fits perfectly. The castle itself is made of smoothed tan stone. Pillars surround the entrance, decorated with ornate carvings. Plants hang down and wrap around everything.

  My father grabs my wrist and pulls me from the vehicle, but I don't care. I am too busy taking in everything. It is like a princess castle from one of the old story books I used to have. I mean I guess it makes sense they are royalty, but still. I didn't even know castles like this existed anymore! 

  Then something else captures my attention. Men in white clothes stand waiting in the front door. The hands are pinned behind their backs and they stand there watching up approach. Noth and Percy stand off to the side. None of the men let their eyes stray from us for even a second as my father drags me closer and closer. 

   My feet start to scrape again the stone path as I try to stop myself from getting anywhere near them. I jerk back against my father."What are you doing," I shout and use all my body weight against him. I end up in a somewhat crouched position before he finally stops. My feet sting and my wrist feels like it has been rubbed raw. My other hand is gripping my forearm, trying to keep it from my dad and to stabilize my body.

   "They want proof,"is all he says before pulling me more. My feet dig against the stone and I push myself against him. Next thing I know, the men in white and coming forward."Breagline, it's either you walk or they carry you," my father states letting go of my wrist. My body falls back onto the stone and I stare at him. 

  "Proof of what," I wheeze. I can't bring myself to get up. My legs are shaking and my feet burn. I feel liquid running down them but I don't tear my eyes away from his matching one. My whole body starts vibrating as my arms feel like they are crumbling from my weight. I bite the inside of my lip trying to force myself to stop. 

  "Proof you can have kids," Noth steps in. He walks forward and extends his hand to help me up. 

  "What," I cry and scurry back. My butt hits the rocks but I don't care. I keep shoving myself further back. They have to be joking right now. What kind of sadistic creeps are they?! No, no. "I take it back. I can have kids. I lied. I promise I lied. Please we don't need tests. I am perfectly healthy. I swear. Please," I beg as my eyes start to blur.

  "We just need proof now. After the words left your mouth, we have to have you tested," Percy states softly. He gives me a sad look and combs the loose hair out of his face. 

  "Are you getting tested," I quiz and watch them all carefully. 

  "No."

"Then why do I have to. That seems a little sexist if you ask me," I rage. Even though I am saying it to Percy all I can look at are the men in white. They have no expression on their face. They are standing waiting for the next command, like dogs. 

  "Because I didn't say I was infertile and I have already been test," he shares, keeping his eyes trained on me. 

  "Well I take it back. I mean look at my family! Four kids! My parents are just popping them out like rabbits, so my genes are fine," I blabber, trying to look for anyway out of it." Please!"

  "Breagline, it's just a few test. Then it's over," Noth attempts to comfort taking another step forward so I can grab his hand. I really miss my shoes right now! Is there anything else I can throw? Please!

  Then it brushes my hand. The rocks. I slowly gather one in each hand. There's three of them not including the men in white, but the men are further back. It might take them longer to catch me. They also look bigger so hopefully they are just used to carrying people and not chasing them. But I still only have two hands, so who is going to be the slowest? Percy is the furtherest back, but the youngest and most active. Noth and my dad are just a few feet away but not close enough to each other for one of my hands to hit both of them even with a few rocks. My dad is probably the most out of shape even though he caught me earlier and I had a head start. He's my best bet. 

  "Breagline," my father warns. He knows I am up to something. He looks at my feet when I do and it clicks in his brain right as I do it."She's going to throw the rocks!"

  And they are flying.