Chapter 10

I open my eyes after what feels like mere seconds of closing them to find myself back in the infirmary, across from the large window. I move my legs and felt the cool touch of the weightless sheet. I rub my eye and look around. Too much time couldn't have passed, it's still day time, unless I slept through the rest of a day and night. No, no. I didn't.

I look to my side and see Percy sitting back with a small device in his hand, occupied with what ever is on it. He doesn't look up when he hears he move. He doesn't give any recognition of me. I flop my back onto the bed again and stare out the window.

It's over. I don't have anymore tests, hopefully. I don't want to jinx myself though. All of this came from one stupid lie I forced out of my mouth. All of this could've been avoided if I had just kept my trap shut. Could it have though? Could they have done this to other girls? Is this why Percy isn't married yet or is it because they haven't sought a marriage for him before?

"Percy," I whisper into the empty air. His eye look up to me. He raises an eyebrow, telling me to continue." Would they still have done these tests even if I knew how to keep my mouth shut?"

He watches me for a second then sets his device on the side table." Honestly I want to tell you 'no' as you might learn to watch your sharp tongue more, but after all this I'll be real with you. They've done it to every girl so far and you are the only one who passed," he reveals leaning back farther into his chair. I just give a little nod and turn my gaze back to the window.

So it wasn't to punish me. It was protocol. They do this to the countless girls that have come here. I was just a number on a list. Is it weird that this information actually makes me feel worse. I was presented with the thought of being special but now I know that other girls have gone through the same process, yet I am the only one to pass. I wonder if Percy wishes it were someone else and not me who passed. Maybe he was wishing for one of the extremely gorgeous girls with tons of money and who would obey his every command. Sadly, he got stuck with me. Sadly, for both of us.

I just want to go home. My stupid little dream world ended up breaking my heart even more. Now, knowing I am the only one to pass, I will be married to Percy. It is almost guaranteed. I won't ever get to go home again. I will be lucky if they send some of my stuff down to me.

I am so freaking tired, not just physical but also of people. There is only one person in the whole universe that I want right now. I want Bidem. My dad has done too much, witnessed to much of the cruel things that have happened to me and said nothing. He just sits and waits for Noth or Percy to take control then he follows their lead.I don't want Bidem. I need Bidem. He is the only one I trust anymore. My eyes cloud over just at the mere thought of his name. I don't have the energy to hold back the tears anymore so I just let them flow freely. I don't make any noise except for a few somewhat louder breaths.  I stare off at the window and watch the sea. It seems to go on for hundreds of miles. I look at the sky that eventually meets the sea. Bidem is in that sky. He could be up there staring down at me and having to try and explain to Lyal and Amelli that I can't ever come home with them.

Percy hurries out of his chair and to the side of the bed."Hey, what's wrong? Are you okay? Breagline," calls through each of those responses a few times but I don't reply. I just sit there and let the tears runaway, like everything else in my life.

Percy grabs for my hand, but I frantically rip it away from him. I don't want him or anyone to touch me ever. I just want my siblings. I just want Bidem.

"Breagline please tell me what is going on. Are you dying," he presses, his eyes taking sweeps all around me."Breagline, what can I do?"

"Bidem," is all I mouth. I can't even say his name. I could hardly mouth it without letting lose a sob. I pray he catches on and leaves me alone. I hope he goes and bring Bidem back. I can't be trapped here without saying goodbye. I never got to say goodbye to anyone I love.