Part 1. The Queen of Erebor

The hour was late, all the city of Erebor was sleeping. Kaylea Wolf was writing reports, her feet propped on a chair and her wolf snoring by the fire when she heard Thorin's soft knock. She got up and went to the door, but did not open it.

"My king, what are you doing?" She asked.

"I cannot sleep," came the response. "Not knowing you are here and not with me."

"You cannot come in. It is very unlucky for the bride and groom to see each other the night before the wedding."

She heard Thorin sigh, the door creaked. Kaylea put her hands on it, she could almost feel him leaning on the other side. "Let me in," he said.

She did want to open the door, but she also felt it was important to do the thing properly. "This is an old tradition of my people. You do want everything to be perfect for tomorrow? Spending this night apart is part of that." She could feel Thorin shift his weight, she leaned against the door closing her eyes and feeling for his presence. Inhaling, she could just catch his scent.

"I love you, my king. Now go to bed."

"I love you, my lady. If you will not let me in, can we sit and talk awhile?"

"You must not sit there very long. My brother is sure to come by to see if I am behaving and run you off."

She heard Thorin laugh softly. "I would like to see him try." She heard him slide down the door, it creaked as he leaned against it. Kaylea sat down with her back to Thorin's. They talked for some time, about the wedding, the unusually warm weather, the forge that needed repair, just passing the time.

"I want to see you," Thorin said. Kaylea smiled to herself.

"Not tonight. The next time you see me you will be crowning me Queen of Erebor."

"Ah, I suppose that is worth waiting for," Kaylea could hear the smile in his voice. Thorin stood up. "If you will not let me in, I should try to get some sleep," he said. Kaylea stood as well, pressing her body to the door, feeling Thorin do the same on the other side. "Goodnight, my love."

"Goodnight, my king." Kaylea listened to his footsteps moving away, so wishing she could open the door and call him back.

Kensie Graham watched Thorin walk away from the shadow of an archway along the gallery. He was glad to see Kaylea had not let him in, it was important to honor old traditions. Kensie liked this King Under the Mountain, he and Kaylea were well-suited to each other. They obviously shared a deep intimacy, like young lovers in the way they could not keep their hands off each other. Kensie had known Kaylea almost all her life, she had never had much luck in love but this time it seemed she had got it right. Privately he wondered if Thorin really knew what he was in for by marrying Kaylea, she said he did but Kensie wondered if he really understood. He stepped out onto the galley to return to his quarters, rather looking forward to giving his sister away tomorrow. The warrior and the King, he thought to himself. One thing was certain, their future will never be boring.

Hours before the ceremony was set to begin Kaylea opened her door to find Princess Dis and a herd of handmaidens waiting outside. She let them in with an amused look, wondering just what she had got herself into by agreeing to this. Two of the ladies were carrying her dress, two more the veil, another a beautifully carved chest with several drawers, the last had her shoes and a soft canvas bag. This was the first time Kaylea had seen the dress, there was some kind of delay making the fabric and it had only just been finished. It did look beautiful, made of some shiny silk the exact blue of her eyes with gold and silver threads running through it in irregular patterns, like veins of metal. The veil was a gauzy fabric the same color that glittered with tiny diamonds. Thorin's sister had planned the whole wedding, taking charge as soon as she knew Kaylea was not familiar with all the Dwarvish customs. Dis stood back and looked her up and down, all business.