Chapter 7

Colin puts Evan on the carpet with some toys to play and wraps his arms around Jennifer, pulling her close. "Hey," he whispers, "everything's alright. Helen's fine. I told her if she needs any help or support whether is financially, emotionally or anything that I'll help. She's okay with raising this baby. I felt horrible but we worked through it together and it's fine now." When Jennifer doesn't stop crying, his heart breaks. "Don't cry baby, please."

She looks up at him, does the exact opposite. "I'm so sorry, Colin. This isn't fair, she's gotta take care of a baby all by herself now. She may not love you, but what about your children? You and Helen worked together," these last few words cause a sob to rise, "I did ruin your marriage. And I can't fix it anymore." She buries her head into his chest.

He holds her close. "Don't blame yourself, Jen. You didn't ruin our marriage. It was already over. It's just that neither of us wanted to hurt the other person. I worked things out. It's all okay. Don't apologize. Please don't blame yourself."

"If it hadn't been for me, your kids would have been raised by their parents, even if you don't love each other," she keeps crying, her voice is almost angry, "Don't tell me that's okay."

"It not your fault, baby, we don't love each other. I don't want my children to live in a house where their parents don't love each other. This divorce was a good thing for both of us. We don't hate each other. I still get to see my kids. Helen and I are still friends. This isn't your fault at all," he says softly, holding her close to him. "I promise."

"Colin, this doesn't feel right," she looks back up to his desperate face. "I do want to be with you, but..." she sighs, giving up and hugging him to her, "it's gonna be hard."

He hugs her, holding her close and wiping her tears. "It's going to be okay," he whispers, kissing her forehead.

"Just stay with me," her voice breaks, and she reaches up to kiss him.

"Always," he whispers against her lips before kissing her.

Jennifer kisses him slowly and her tears slow down. Should she tell him that she loved him? She's pretty sure she did. She just didn't know if she was ready to say it out loud. Colin was also about to say something but then Evan started to cry. He pulls away slowly and goes over to Evan and picks him up.

Jennifer lays there on the couch, waiting for him to come back and hold her. She watches the way he picks up Evan, carefully but with practice. Her worry lessens. They could be okay, she guessed. Her tears have slowed but are still coming. "I'll go upstairs, stay here and play with him," she says softly and gets up.

"Are you sure?" he asks, looking over at her, "you don't have to leave."

"I know," she answers, but heads to her room. "I just want-" she shakes her head. "I'll be over there if you need me." But he wouldn't come, or maybe he would, she wanted him to.

"What's wrong?" he asks softly, as she's walking away.

"A lot," she says and goes up the stairs and into her room, closing the door, but not locking it. She wanted to be with him, but she also needed to think.

Colin sighs and decides to stay downstairs and read to Evan.

Once in her room, Jennifer lies in bed and cries a little more. She's not sure if it's because of Helen being pregnant, the entire situation, or what. She just needs to cry. Ava comes to her. Jen hugs her close, needing someone to hold on.

After Colin finishes reading to Evan, he takes him in his arms and goes to Jennifer's room. Stopping at the closed door, he asks quietly, "You okay in there?"