MANAGER

"Jungkook?" The assistant called out from the doorway.

"That's me!" I got up from my seat, smoothing out the creases in my brand-new blazer. This was my first interview, and not just any interview, but one at 'Park Enterprises,' owned by Park Jimin, one of the wealthiest men in South Korea. The stakes couldn't be higher.

I walked towards the interview room with my heart pounding in my chest. I had been told the vice head would be conducting the interview for the accountant position. However, as I glanced inside, I froze. Park Jimin himself was seated there, looking over some papers.

"Why is he here?" I thought to myself, my nervousness intensifying. I turned towards the assistant, standing at the door. "Is that Jimin? The Park Jimin?"

"Yes, sir." She smiled reassuringly.

"I was told the vice head would be conducting the interview. Why is Mr. Park here?" I asked, my voice shaking slightly.

"We didn't know either. Mr. Park suddenly decided to attend, saying he wanted to recruit someone for a very important position. Don't worry, he isn't as intimidating as he appears," she said with a gentle smile.

My heart raced, my legs felt weak, and my hands were cold. I took a deep breath and stepped into the room. I needed this job.

Jimin looked up from his papers as I entered. His sharp gaze made my stomach churn.

"Good morning, Mr. Park. I... I am Jeon Jungkook, and I am here to..." I began, but he cut me off.

"I know who you are, Mr. Jeon. I want you to be my manager," Jimin said, his tone firm and unwavering.

"Pardon?" I blinked, taken aback.

"I want you to work as my manager," Jimin repeated, his expression unreadable.

"But I applied for the accountant position," I stammered, nervously wiping the sweat from my forehead.

Jimin just stared back at me with a smirk playing on his pale lips. "I need someone I can trust in this role. Tell me by tonight, Mr. Jeon."

He stood up, buttoning his expensive blazer—probably Gucci, I thought—and walked towards me. "I will give you any amount of money you ask for. You are perfect for this job. Ms. Michelle, give him my card."

He then left the room, and I let out a sigh of relief. If that had lasted any longer, I would have run out of the room screaming.

"Here you go," the assistant handed me a card. I was about to take it when Jimin's voice came from outside the room, "The other card!"

He was still here?

The assistant looked confused but handed me another card. I nodded, thanked her, and left the room, feeling the need for fresh air.

Once outside, I ran down the street, my mind reeling. Park Jimin himself had interviewed me and offered me a position as his manager! The only thing that could calm me down now was my mom's cooking, so I headed home.

.........................................

I reached our small home at the corner of a busy street, where my mom and I had lived since my dad passed away in a car accident.

"Mom! I am so hungry! Can you please make me something?" I yelled as I entered, shrugging off my suffocating coat and tossing it on the couch. But the house was eerily quiet.

"Mom?" I called out, walking through the rooms. When I finally entered the kitchen, I found her lying on the floor.

"Mom!" I rushed to her side, lifting her head gently. She was unconscious, her face pale. Panic surged through me as I carried her to the bedroom, laying her down on the bed.

"Mom?" I whispered, tears welling up in my eyes. She slowly opened her eyes, giving me a weak smile.

"Oh, Jungkook-ah, I'm alright. Don't worry," she said softly.

Tears trickled down my cheeks, but I managed to smile. "What happened, Mom?"

She sighed. "I didn't want to worry you, but last week, I felt extremely weak. While you were out with your friends, I called the doctor. He said I need to go to the hospital."

"Why didn't you tell me, Mom? Let's go to the hospital right now!" I said, struggling to hold back my tears.

"No, Jungkook. I already went. The doctor said my immune system is weakening and that I need treatment as soon as possible. But the treatment is very expensive, and we can't afford it," she explained, her voice barely a whisper.

Tears streamed down my face as I knelt beside her. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"I didn't want to burden you. You were already working two part-time jobs, and we were barely making ends meet. I'm old, Jungkook. I won't live much longer anyway," she said, her eyes filled with sadness.

I clenched my fists, my heart breaking. "Don't say that, Mom. I found a new job, and no matter how expensive the treatment is, we're getting it done."

Her eyes lit up with hope. "You got the job? My son, I knew you could do it. I love you so much."

I smiled through my tears, reassured her, and stepped out onto the terrace. I had Jimin's card in my hand. "Desperate times call for desperate measures," I told myself and dialed the number.

My heart pounded as the phone rang. Finally, a deep, raspy voice answered, "Yes?"

"This is Jeon Jungkook. I was at the company this morning," I said nervously.

"Ah, yes. Mr. Jeon. Have you made your decision?" the familiar voice asked.

"Jimin?" I said softly.

"Yes. I'm Park Jimin," he replied.

My eyes widened in shock, my hand trembling. "I... I apologize, sir. I didn't realize it was you."

"Don't worry, Mr. Jeon. About the job, what have you decided?" Jimin asked, his tone calm yet authoritative.

"Yes, sir. I would love to work as your manager," I said, mustering all the confidence I could.

"Excellent, Mr. Jeon. Be in my office tomorrow at 8 AM sharp. Don't be late," Jimin said coldly and hung up.

I took a deep breath, the weight of my decision sinking in. This job could change everything. For me and for my mom.

-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-•-○-