Chapter 31

She stood out among the others like a single black rose among red ones. All the flowers were beautiful, but this one in particular held his attention. Her back was to him and she was standing beside another girl. The other girl raised her hand, cell phone in palm to take a selfie. Then the girl just floated away with turning around. Hakeem never saw her face.

No need. He didn't need to see her or say anything to her. He would ask one of the young men he'd just met if they knew who she was. He would learn her name. He would find her.

From there, Hakeem had formulated his plan of action. Everything he'd done seemed to lead up to this very moment. And now was going on an outing with the father of the girl he wanted to spend his life getting to know. He turned off the engine of his car and stepped out of his black Toyota Camry. He kept the car meticulously clean, but had detailed it and waxed it by hand the night before in preparation to meet Malika's father.

Hakeem carefully avoided walking on the immaculately cut grass and instead opted for the clean stone walkway leading to the front porch. The house was a two story red brick beauty with an old fashioned swing on the front porch. There were pots of flowers all around, but Hakeem didn't notice any daisies. That was a relief. When he and his family had come over for dinner before, it was evening and he hadn't noticed all the distinguishing details.

He imagined sitting on that porch swing with Malika, looking into her eyes, holding her hand, caressing her cheek, touching his finger tip to her plump bottom lip. Hakeem had to stop himself from daydreaming. This woman had put a spell on him and she didn't even know it. His heart beat wildly and he calmed himself before ringing the doorbell. This was no time to be wrapped up in thoughts of the man's daughter. He had to have his wits about him to make sure he behaved perfectly today. He couldn't slip up.

It only took a moment for Brother Mika'il to answer the door. Instead of inviting Hakeem in, he pushed him back away from the door and closed the front door before saying anything. He had a large duffel bag in his hand.

"You ready?" Malika's father asked with a serious face.

"Yes, sir." Hakeem responded respectfully. He glanced at the duffel bag and a tiny red flag went off in his mind. What exactly was he supposed to be ready for?

"You're driving. Let's go." Brother Mika'il didn't crack a smile. He simply pushed past Hakeem and walked down the steps of the front porch towards Hakeem's car.

Ok, Hakeem thought with a tad bit of apprehension. Here goes nothing.

"Did you bring everything I told you to bring?" Brother Mika'il had given Hakeem a list of items to put in his trunk.

"Yes, sir. I did." Hakeem knew there were a few strange things on the list, but he tried not to give it too much thought.

"We're going to Stone Mountain. Drive." Brother Mika'il ordered.

Hakeem kept his eyes facing straight ahead and did as he was told.