Breaking Point

"Yes, big wedding," Hugo replied. "Well biggest I'd ever seen."

As I slowly transitioned back into the moment, I had realized that no matter how much sleep I got, It was never enough. As I was daydreaming earlier about Red's actual parent's situation that he had told me yesterday, it felt like I could not stop thinking about it. However, there was nothing that I could do, he was just a loose cannon like Jack had similarly stated, which could potentially hurt the group in the future. Nobody knew what this inevitable and scary future was, however, Jack did mention time and time again that we shouldn't worry because he had been coming up with a plan.

"That sounds nice," Lydia replied while washing the dishes.

"If the offer still stands," Hugo began with a friendly smile. "I could take the dishes off your hands."

"No, It's okay," Lydia responded. "I like these moments where it is quiet and peaceful and I am occupied with something."

"Sure thing," Hugo said.

"So, tell me more," Lydia said. "How was she like?"

"Oh, she was just the sweetest," Hugo replied while blushing. His face overcame with a reddish hue and his face seemed to be glowing, given that he had time to freshen up and. He kept moving around in his chair as he could barely keep still, just like a toddler. I sat across from him from the table and observed him. Hugo seemed to be more invested in his conversation with Lydia and his excitement was present. It was like he had found a friend for the first time. "We would go to watch pictures together."

"What was her favorite?" Lydia inferred.

"The sinking ship picture," he replied enthusiastically. "You know, Titanium."

Lydia laughed as I tried to conceal my laughter. She said, "I think you mean Titanic."

"Poor ship," Hugo said. "Could've saved Jack though."

"Interesting choice," Lydia said. From her short exchanges of words, I could only surmise that she was still a bit terrified of him. Which could be true, since he did not make a very good first impression.

"Yeah well," Hugo began with a red face. "She called me her Jack."

"That's pretty sweet of her," Lydia responded.

"Sure was," Hugo said while turning a bit serious. "Listen, I didn't mean to hurt you fellas. I was scared."

"We all were," Lydia responded sternly. "Just make sure to not do that again."

"I promise," Hugo said. "Will do whatever it takes to protect little Jennifer and her mother."

"How did she die?," Lydia asked while changing the topic. "If you don't mind."

"Cancer," Hugo replied solemnly. "Months before the outbreak, she kept getting' weaker and weaker. I prayed to god, but... she began losing her precious blonde hair after. Then came days before the outbreak when we found out she'd only have a whole year or two to live. I rejoiced of course. We both did. Chemo was starting' soon... then all of a sudden, no room was available. People were dropping' left and right. All the rich folks in Austin held the hospital hostage." Anger began to build up slowly as Hugo's face tensed up, "Folks demanded treatment first. Us poor folks had nowhere to go. Eventually, she died right on my lap. Her perfectly smooth shaved head rested on my thighs. I took care of her. I tried. Didn't last two weeks after the outbreak."

"That's terrible," She replied. "Any kids?"

"Five," Hugo replied slowly while taking a sip of water from a bottle on the table.