Apocalypse Dreams: Nothing

It was almost like it was a dream of sorts, however, the vivid imagery and three-dimensional figures constantly bulging towards us made us aware of the reality. It also kept us on our feet. At the same time, it did not feel real, but instincts had kept us alive. There were bullets that still pierced through the vehicle, even though they were low in frequency and quantity as before due to the fact that there was a new challenger. If any of us had gotten up now, it would increase the chances of us getting shot. Even then, the sense of realism seemed out of grasp because I had often questioned whether what I was seeing was real or just a figment of my imagination. Sometimes it just made me wonder. Someone who had either come to save us, or hurt us.

A random afterlife thought could be one in which there is no afterlife. People just die. Still cannot be disproven and still nothing matters, except to the believers and non-believers that would beg to differ. In this thought, you get a brief flash of insight to a significant moment in life, as if our brains have lost all functions and a brief picture comes to our heads. Physiologically, maybe it can make sense if our brains are shielding us from the actual event of death. Whether it be a death due to an explosion or bleeding out due to a deep laceration, our brains could paint a quick picture so we do not think about the event that is happening. In all the different thoughts, even the person who is in any of the circumstances before he or she dies, they would not know. All memory of the "past" life, as it would now be considered, would either go into a repetitive dream, parallel universe, or would just expire. Either way, it didn't matter, we would just be trying to make sense of an insane world.

The gunshot sounds had come to a halt. Silence. I wondered how long this standoff actually took. I guess at that moment, it was officially over. None of the two opposing groups spoke, and Derek's ears perked up as he tried to listen carefully to figure out what was happening.

Footsteps began approaching towards the vehicle and then it seemed to stop by the front door. Jack still had his weapon pointed to the front door, while Red and the rest of the crew waited patiently. The door quietly opened and Jack fired a couple of shots, however, they all missed. The door was now open halfway, but nobody was in front of it. A figure quickly came into view and shot towards Jack, who now dropped his weapon. Jack had a shocked look on his face and began analyzing his left hand and then had a look of relief on his face.

"I wouldn't go for it if I was you," a familiar voice spoke up. It was James, or informally known as "Jay" by his previous crew. His words were all jumbled up when he spoke because of a cigar that he had kept in his mouth. He stepped inside the RV slowly while Red and I looked up. We slowly began to get up, including Derek, who was held down by Jay's enormous boot. Jay had his right foot on Derek's neck at the back and held him down almost to the point of choking him. Parkinson looked at the scene in shock as he struggled to get up.

"What are you doing here?" Jack asked while slowly getting up, leaving his weapon on the floor.

"Slide me that weapon there," James said with a grin.

Jack slowly pushed it with his right foot. He then looked at Lydia, who was still laying down on the floor. Jack quickly ran over towards Lydia, passing James, who inhaled the cigar deeply.

"Are you alright?!" Jack asked while trying to pick her up.

Jack noticed that she was fully unconscious. He checked for her pulse and his face turned looked more relieved. Jack then began checking her for any injuries and found a bruise on her head.

"Please, I can give you anything you want," Derek mumbled from the floor. "Just let me go."

"Shh," James responded with a chuckle. "Can't you see they're having a moment?"