Chapter 1

It's been two weeks since Kayla died. And no-one is investigating because they think I've gone nuts. Initially, they thought I was the one who killed her but eventually, myself, my mum, a lawyer and the coroner all questioned how a 15 year old girl could punch a whole through a girls chest and rip out her heart. Then they let me off the hook. 

School hasn't given me a break, despite everything. Kayla's parents haven't stopped consoling me. Her funeral was last week and I could hardly stop crying. Not from losing my best friend but the trauma added to it. Granted I was being selfish yet no-one blamed me. The school also decided to hold a concert for her, which I relunctantly agreed to take part in. 

"Hey, see you in class?" Maddy asks me and I nod before she runs off, as the final bell rings. I was about to leave school in general when two guys start walking toward me. One was a little shorter than the other, a stern look on his face and light stubble. His hair was dirty blond and spiked into a boyish quiff. The other was pretty tall, had to be over 6' with longer brown hair. A little baby faced but they both held the same expression. Like they had seen things that no-one should ever have to see. 

"Hi. Um we were hoping you could tell us where Kathryn Evans was." The taller one asks and I look at them with caution. Imma mess with em. 

"Whose asking?" I question and they look at me, a little shocked before reaching into their coats.

"FBI, Agents Frehley and Bonham." The taller one, Frehley, answers. 

"Well, you're talking to her." And sadness briefly crosses their faces. "What do you want?" I ask curiously.

"We would like to talk to you about your friend, Kayla." The same one questions and I look down, tears brimming my eyes. 

"Uh yeah, what about her?" I ask and they can't help but look at me with sympathy.

"Well, what was she like?" I laugh at the question, smiling over the memories.

"Stubborn as hell but if you were loyal to her, she would never leave your side unless you gave her reason. She was a good person." I explain and they smile slightly.

"Did Kayla have any enemies? Someone who would want to hurt her?" The shorter one, Bonham, questions this time and I shrug.

"Well yeah we're in high school. She had people who didn't like her but no-one who would want to hurt her, let alone kill her."

"And what about you? What did you see?" Bonham asks again and my breath trembles, making me hesitate in my answer.

"Uh well I was walking home from school with Kayla and we heard a noise. We felt like someone was following us for a while so we ran and I lost her. By the time I heard her scream, this thing punched a hole in her chest and she stopped screaming then went limp. I ran over but whatever killed her ran off and she was dead." I explain briefly and Frehley looks at me with sympathy. 

"Thank you and sorry for your loss." He says and I nod. Then make my way down the street.

"What do you think you're doing?" They ask me and I smile.

"I got no more classes agents." And with that I walk off down the street with a mock salute. I hear a chuckle then see them walk off to their car; classic car, black and looks like a Chevrolet but I don't know the year or make. It looks wicked though. "Nice car!" I shout out, making Bonham smile. They seemed like nice guys.

As I'm walking down the street I hear the roar of an engine pull up beside me, making me take my earbuds out and look beside me to see the same agents stopped on the curb.

"Unless you have a reason to stalk me, I'm pretty sure it's illegal." I comment.

"We noticed you were headed in the same direction as us. Wanted to know if you wanted a ride." 

"Nah, I'm good but thanks." 

"You sure? Looks like it's about to rain." Bonham shouts and I look up just as it starts to lightly rain. I think for a moment, knowing I really shouldn't accept the offer.

"Fine." I say then quickly jump in the back of the car, my hair already relatively wet from the fresh rain. "Thanks." I say and Frehley nods.

"So, where's your house?" Bonham asks and I smile.

"You know who my best friend was but not my street address?" I sarcastically reply, making him laugh.

"Pretty much."

"Take the next left then it's the third house on the right." I reply.

"I don't suppose that is 8 Crown St is it?" Frehley asks and I look at him, a little shocked.

"Uh yeah. Why?"

"That's where we were headed. We were going to talk to your mum." He says and I look at him.

"Why do you want to talk to my mum?" I ask him.

"Wanted her perspective." He replies simply and I scoff.

"Don't bother. She thinks I'm making up the entire thing to. That I just made up the image. Just another person who doesn't believe me." I tell them and the car falls silent.

"Well, we believe you." Bonham states and I smile at him.

"No you don't." I say, he smiles. 

"Maybe, maybe not. But for now, we do." He says and I give him a small smile. Just as the conversation ends, we are pulled on the curb, my house standing tall. My mums car is in the driveway indicating she's home.

As I get out of the car, the rain becomes heavier, making me run to the door and unlock it quickly, letting in the agents before closing the door. Thunder roaring through the sky, making everything in the house tremble. 

"I'm home! And there's some FBI agents to talk to you!" I shout into the house, taking off my wet shoes.

"Uh, just follow me." I say simply, leading them into the kitchen where my mum was cooking dinner. She seemed stressed.

"Oh, hi sweetie. Who are they?" She asks.

"FBI agents. They want to talk to you about Kayla." I inform her and she nods. Just before I leave the room I look at them with a thankful smile. "Thanks for the ride by the way." I say.

"No problem." Bonham replies and I head up to my room to listen to music and tune out the day. Yes, I have a billion tests but I couldn't be bothered studying. So, I fell asleep, letting the sound of the rain help me.