Prologue

Freakin' highschool. Full of arrogant and cocky boys and bitchy, narcissistic girls who are completely full of themselves. Then there's little ol' me. Not as self-centred and just trying to get through each year without the drama and go a little further in my education. Not that it works well. At least one teacher each year gets a little more disappointed in me; it's usually maths too.

"Hey," I hear one of my best friends slam my locker, making me jump a mile, earning me a laugh. "Calm down, just me." She giggles and I give her a little nudge.

"Shut up. What's up?" I laugh and she smiles at me.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to come to a party this weekend?" She asks me and I look at her.

"We've been through this Maddy, I don't do parties. Or crowds for that matter." I explain again. A frequent conversation we have every week. Because there is one... every week.

"But they're fun." She urges, holding my arm and trying to give me her puppy dog eyes.

"No. I told you, I don't mind a drink but I don't like parties. I don't care if it's your birthday or just because there's one. I'm not going." She rolls her eyes.

"Ugh, fine. But you better get drunk with me soon." She warns, pointing her finger at me as she walks off and I laugh.

"Turn that to later." I shout out and we smile at each other before heading in separate directions. Her to the bus stops and me to the main doors, since I prefer to walk than take the bus. Won't be too long until I have my licence anyway. 

Walking home I feel a presence behind me but I shrug it off as just being paranoid and continue my trek to my house. It's just me and my mum and has been my entire life. She says she knows who my dad is but won't tell me who. Every now and again if I'm trying to be annoying I point at every guy I see on TV and ask her if they're my dad. Usually she just laughs and tells me no. Every now and again though they'll be a segment and she'll falter in her answer before saying no as usual. 

"Boo!" I hear someone shout and I about shit bricks as I see my best friend Kayla behind me, trying to not wet herself from laughing so hard. "Oh my god!" She says between laughs, struggling to breathe. "You shit yourself!" She says and I laugh at her.

"Not funny. You however..." I trail off and she stops laughing, trying to look at me with a serious expression while letting out little giggles. 

"Where you goin'?" She asks me and I look at her, amused.

"Where do you think?" I question.

"Hogwarts?" She asks with a gasp.

"Yeah, definitely." I laugh at her as we continue to my house. 

While we walk, we hear a rustling in the bushes, making us stop in our tracks. Usually we just ignore this stuff but we both felt like we weren't alone, making us walk faster to my place. Just for the time being. But the feeling never went away.

"OK, weird." I state.

"Totally." She replies and we look at each other as the noises get closer until we can pin point exactly where they're coming from. I nudge Kayla.

"On three." I whisper, then count to three on my fingers until we make a run for the next block where my mum will be waiting. Then it will all be over and OK. But it wasn't all over and OK.

As I was running, I hadn't realised that Kayla had fallen behind, let alone heard her scream to slow down. But by the time I had realised, it was too late.

"Agh!" I hear her and I stop to turn around as something, no, someone was punching her chest then silence. As quick as they appeared, they disappeared and my best friend, falls limp to the ground. A hole in her chest. Lifeless. 

"This can not be happening." I say to myself, tears streaming as I lean over my best friend. This is not possible.