Chapter Seven

The morning rays shone through the window, heating my eyes and even burning them, making them uncomfortable. I squinted them open, before rubbing them up and standing in bed. It felt great to be in my old, comfortable bed again.

I looked around the room. Despite the fact that some things were removed from the walls and cabinets, it felt nostalgic, like I was my old self again, to be sleeping in my own house.

I shook the blanket off, before hoisting myself off the mattress. Strangely, it felt more tiring than before.

Then, a rush of unreleased energy hurriedly rose up my chest, and I stretched out my arms and legs, before letting out a relaxing yawn that woke me up entirely. I took a deep breath, before putting on a random set of clothes, since, even though it felt like a school day, I didn't actually go to school anymore. Besides, I'm not Alex. Not anymore. When I died, everything about my past had changed.

I am not a human, but instead, I am a Sentinel.

I went over and walked out of the room, about to go to the refrigerator, when I felt a fierce rush of nausea throughout my esophagus. I retched violently, slammed my palm on the counter, and my legs started to locomote rapidly into the bathroom, towards the toilet.

The walls became a confusing blur as I slammed through the door, and began to eke out a few more gags, before the sludge of greenish, organic sewage finally fell out of my throat. It burned and smarted my tongue, even punching against and clogging the inside of my chest.

The toilet bowl wasn't much better off either.

Just after the putrid waterfall of stomach acids and juices seemed as if they were about to recede, an excruciating headache hammered at the inside of my forehead, bringing me down onto the corner of the wall. I let out a groan, before the aching turned to piercing, agonizing stabbing pains, and it became a whimper.

With teeth gritted, and my hand gripping at the front of my scalp, I slowly gained the power to raise myself up, and bring myself towards the door. The walls slowly became wobbly and disorienting.

My legs slowly began to weaken. The pain was too much to bear. But slowly, I managed to stumble out of the bathroom, before collapsing on the soft canvas surface of the couch.

While my left leg stopped itself on the floor, I tried to hopelessly quell the torture by pressing hard on my head, while rolling from side to side. Eventually, the groans turned to screams.

Almost in a split-second, the headache disappeared. In mixed surges of surprise and relief, I stood up, still reeling from the last few traces, and looked around. Deep down, I could hear a booming voice from inside my head.

"Do not be afraid.", he said. "I will assist."

The headache returned, but this time, it spawned in my chest, clawing at it, and bringing my reddened hands to helplessly squish and press fiercely on it, while my body rolled from side to side.

"Why!?", I shouted, almost feeling helpless.

The voice returned only a second after. "The injection was crudely successful. Yet, some remnants still plague the existence."

"What are you talking about..!?"

Nothing. Except now, the pain was gone. And this time, for good. I sighed deeply, before staring, motionlessly, at the popcorn ceiling for a perpetual amount of time. Numbness took over my head, stuffing it into a welcoming aura of coziness and comfort.

The front door was banged on furiously, tossing me to the floor in fright, before I managed to get my bearings and walked over towards the doorknob.