Chapter One

The sun shone brightly in the peachy afternoon sky, almost burning my eyes. School was just about over, with everyone leaving the school as flashy, expensive cars waited in line to pick up their teens. Just then, a piece of pink paper slapped against my face in the wind as I was walking by, and I yanked it off, before I decided to take a look at it.

"Join the After-school Literature Club today!", the description wrote. "Write poetry, spend time with friends, and read together!"

On the back was a list of the members of the club. It was relatively small, with only about four girls in it. To my surprise, Sayori was one of them. Just then, I felt a poke on my shoulder, and I turned around, and in a "surprising" turn of events, there she was, standing below me. Well, a bit. She really wasn't that short.

Anyway, just as normal, she was smiling like no tomorrow, with her hands behind her back. I wonder what she had.

"Hey, Sayori.", I awkwardly greeted her. She was a little too close for comfort, which didn't resonate well with my body, as it literally was about to go fight-or-flight mode. I inhaled through my nose, and that stopped it.

"Guess what I got?", she teased, her arms slowly preparing to go lightning speed in front of me. "This!" She thrusted them in front of me, showing the exact same paper that I threw away.

I feigned a smile. "What's this?"

"It's the paper for people to join the Literature Club!", she explained. "I know you promised me that you would go too."

"Alright.", I said, breaking the facade. "Well, since you apparently said I made a promise, I'll go."

"Yes!", she squealed. "Everyone's gonna be in by 3:50. Room 124 is where it's at. Meet me after that time!"

She trotted off, leaving me with the rest of the departing students.
For the remainder of the time, I walked around inside the school, occasionally storing some stuff inside my locker, using the bathroom, and spending most of the time walking across my classrooms. It took about twenty minutes, and that was probably one of, if only, the most mind-numbing experiences I've had to endure. Fortunately, it gave me plenty of time to think about school, home, and the club.

As I walked past the computer room, I noticed a strange humming coming from inside. I stopped my tracks, turned back, looked inside, and found one of the PCs wobbling strangely while emitting a constant, low-pitched, somewhat tolerable hum. I opened the door, expecting Mrs. Fergyn to be here, but she wasn't, obviously. I set my bag down by the doorway, walked over to the computer, and saw that same weird, vibrant piece of glass I saw on the TV in the morning before school. I was about to lay my index finger on it, but I thought twice about it. What if it were hazardous? What even was it anyway?

I sighed, and pressed it lightly with my finger. Immediately, it disappeared, but I felt really off, as if my mind was broken from the rest of my body. Something in my head sounded like a whisper, but as I listened closely, it eventually started to sound like an actual man's voice, but it wasn't my own.

"Upload successful. Virus integrated.", it spoke, almost as if it were a murmur.

Who was that? But then again, 'what' was it? Nonetheless, I felt my head coming back to normal, and I felt ordinary and in control again.

What did that do to me?

Nothing too obvious, that's for sure. Everything felt normal. But I knew something was wrong. In the dark corners of my mind, there was something horribly wrong.

I picked up my bag and walked out of the room like nothing happened. Once I was out in the hallway, I scoured the walls until I found a clock on the ceiling. It was about 3:54 in the afternoon. Sayori told me to meet her at the clubroom after 3:50. I turned the corner and soon found myself climbing up a single flight of stairs. With each step, the marble stairs echoed on and on as I made my way up to the second floor, where the Seniors and Juniors had a few of their classes.