Chapter Nineteen

I opened the door leading straight to the preparation room after making sure that everyone was suited up. Just then, Ordenate appeared out the opposite door wearing a heavily armored suit and carrying an energy gatling gun.

"Admiral? You're on this mission too?", I asked him.

"Affirmative. I decided to go in myself and see how far this mystery about Thetyr goes.", he replied.

"Oh, right.", I realized, before turning to the equipment panels on the walls. "Is everyone good to go?"

"Yeah! All armed up and ready to brawl, Exonus!", said Caide, resting a shotgun on his shoulder.

"We're not taking our gravity rigs on this one, guys.", Wix reminded everyone. "Too much power consumption. We need the watts to power our shields and suits, especially for you, Exonus."

"Sure about that?", I said, before going into one of the mechanical booths that took the rig out of the suit.

"Yeah. It's not like we're going into space or anything."

"Okay, but you never know."

"C'mon, let's load up and get to the hovercraft!", Ordenate shouted into the room. "We don't have a lot of time!"

One of the accompanying troops opened the door for us, giving us a full view of the hover-cars ready to dive into battle. They had the same frame and principle of design as human cars, but were much more elegant and sleek by millennia ahead. The military ones, the ones we were preparing to launch, had turrets installed behind the headlights, and could easily raise themselves out and start shooting at their targets.

"Archangel's in position!", Ordenate announced to everyone in the well deck. "Hubton! Link up with Sigma 1, right front!"

"Yes, Admiral!", the soldier saluted, before making his way to his designated car.

"Exonus, Orion Squad, you're with me!", Ordenate brought us to his.

Orion Squad was comprised of Yuri, Nat, Caide, Monika, Wix, and me. All my friends were my squad.

I hopped into the passenger of the vehicle, which was around the back, while the others got into the front.

"Move it, Corporal.", Ordenate pushed Caide aside, before going into the seat besides the driver. "Here's our next phase of the operation! Eyes on your visors!"

"Rear Admiral!", everyone saluted him.

"Archangel will relocate below Thetyr's EMP field and send us Valkyries in. Warship 'Ethereal' will provide limited mechanical and Clipper support once we're down there. Private Bevel, what's your intel?"

"Lemme think.", Monika said, putting a single finger to her temple and closing her eyes. "Thetyr's torn open a small hole under himself. He's siphoning the Earth piece by piece."

"Then that's where we're going.", I finished for her.

"We're going to his asshole?", Caide commented in disgust.

"Just shut up, Caide. That's an order.", Ordenate zipped him up. "Nav Officer, is the ship in position?"

"Yes, sir.", he announced on the intercom. "Give the order and we'll open the well deck."

"Do it!", he shouted. "Everyone hold on!"

The well hatch buckled and whined like a massive cow, before it eventually whirred down, exposing the crimson wasteland that was Washington D.C.

"Heads up! Bogeys popping in!", I alerted.

"Fly'em out!"

One by one, the hover cars were thrust forcefully into hell, before finally it was our turn. The cold, calm air of the well deck was torn away and soon replaced by the damp, sickening atmosphere of the outside world.