Chapter Twenty-five

"With the entire country grinding to a halt, Vice President Marter has ordered all military assets to retreat to their nearest checkpoints and await instructions. Meanwhile, recovery efforts are ongoing in around twenty states across the U.S. The Emperor of the Sentinellian Empire has given no comment on the situation, but a statement was given by Marter in a fortified location.", the newscaster announced, before it cut to a white-haired, gaunt man standing in front of a crowd.

"These past few days have been the darkest for America and the rest of the world. Without the support of the Sentinellian Empire, it is unlikely that humanity would have escaped extinction.", the Vice President stated. "Therefore, I, in place of the late President Mason, will attempt to make further progress with our relationship with the Empire. Humanity is grateful for their efforts to defend our home."

The screen cut back to the news lady in the studio.

"In other news, yesterday evening, a gunshot was reported inside the home of Maxwell Rowan, a 47-year-old man who was found dead in his daughter's bedroom. The woman's name is Natsuki Rowan, an 18-year-old who was also presented in the Seattle parade event. Her last known location was just outside her home, before following three figures towards an unknown area within the neighborhood."

I smoothed my head in my hand, shaking it. Just then, Natsuki stamped over, visibly vexed about the whole thing.

"There was nothing you could do.", Natsuki spat. "I would have died if you hadn't shot him."

I stayed silent. Meanwhile, Yuri and Sayori were making sandwiches for lunch in the kitchen. The guilt didn't wash away. Sooner or later, the cops were gonna find us.

"Baron, do you copy?", Ordenate hissed on my watch, as it laid on the coffee table. I hadn't heard from him in a while.

I picked it up and tied it on my wrist, before tapping on the screen, illuminating a holographic display. "Go ahead, Admiral."

"We need you on the bridge. A high-priority operation was just delivered to our attention. Everyone else needs to come as well."

"I got it. Is my Heron all patched up?"

"Not yet. We're sending a Clipper ship to your area."

"Great. You called in time. I, uh, just landed myself in some trouble with the law."

"I know. That's why I need you to hurry."

"Got it. Out.", I said, before shutting off. "Jeez. How in the hell does he know what I'm doing every moment?"

"Probably because of that Baron suit of yours.", Natsuki commented. "I never thought alien gizmos would be like that kind of stuff."

I sighed, putting the watch back on the table and standing up.

"Where are you going?"

"Getting my suit. We're leaving."

"Monika too?"

"Yeah. Ring her up."

I walked into the hallway before stepping inside my bedroom. I grabbed my Baron suit and put it on, clamping plates together and sticking the leather-like material against each other. I patted my armor and smoothed my gloved fingers over the Y-shaped trunk plating, making sure nothing was loose or open.

When the large circle-shaped light on my torso was glowing an intense blue, I was ready to go. The nano-servos in each joint was up and running, and allowed every movement I made to run like butter. I made a few steps just to calibrate, before walking out of the room entirely. I made sure to grab my helmet and hosed it onto my neck locks as I walked along the hallway.