Chapter Twenty-one

I lay alone in a devastated conference room. My hand, when I raised it up, pulsed and throbbed with the energy channeled and weaned by the Core inside me. It had become my heart, giving my blood a new, mysterious property that continued for as long as it flowed through my veins.

I stood myself up before encountering Orion Squad, who was sitting alone in the other room, realizing who they finally were at last. I looked upwards, and Thetyr was gone, the skies clear of the crimson devastation. Deep in the rubble in the conference room, someone cried for help in a high-pitched, chirping voice.

"Who's that?", Wix pointed it out. "A civilian?"

"No.", I firmly replied. "It's someone else."

I walked over to the massive pile of rubble sitting in the corner of the room, before I lifted a huge chunk of concrete, exposing the individual who was buried in a space inside the massive mound of debris.

It was Sayori, still in her clothes when she died. I reached out my hand, and she grabbed it tightly, pulling herself out of the heap, violently coughing out dust and dirt.

"Whoa..!", Wix sighed in disbelief. "It can't be, how the heck..!?"

He ran right into her arms, hugging her as hard as he could. She gratefully returned the gesture, quickly realizing who had wrapped her arms around her. I smiled when she turned her head towards me, gleeful and full of joy like she always was, back home in the Yallosec system.

"Exonus, Sayori..!", Natsuki said flawlessly. "You're alive!"

"Yeah.", I chirped. "Somehow, even through the worst of monsters and gods, I live to tell the tale."

She scoffed playfully. "Next time, I bet you won't."

"How much?"

"Couple dollars."

I snickered mockingly at that amount. "More like a hundred."

"Alright, you two.", Ordenate stopped us. "It's time we head home. Monika, scan the building for an exit."

"Searching..", Monika got on it. "Found it. It's just at that door besides where we found Sayori."

Wix lifted up Sayori and carried her on his shoulders through the door, since she was too weak to be able to walk. Yuri embraced me, ecstatic that I had made it out it alive along with Sayo. I went out along with her and the rest of the squad, as military choppers dropped off troops towards the main building, waiting for us to get out.

"Major Tanner.", one of the soldiers, a black man adorned with several ribbons, greeted the Admiral. "It's damn good to see you."

"Admiral Hauro.", Ordenate saluted. "How many soldiers did you lose?"

"Five hundred. Those damn things ate up our bullets and kept going. Explosives, launchers and RPGs were the only things that really killed them."

"Damn. At least we were a bit luckier."

"Yeah, safe to say. How many for you?"

"A hundred and ten."

"Jesus..", he sighed in shock. "Well, I can't be too shocked. You are all aliens, after all."

"Right about that.", Caide joined in. "Corporal Atimus."

"Major Tanner. We could use more tech like yours, Admiral."

"I'll see about forwarding that to the Emperor."

"Good."

We boarded my fighter that was just touching down, and me and Yuri hopped into the cockpit like always, while the rest of the squad boarded the passenger cabin. I flicked the same switches powering up the thrusters, and we took straight off for the Archangel, which had just warped back into the airspace above us.