Angst 4: Descent to Madness

Title: It's Like Magic

Author: Kiki1770 

Rating: T for Language

Summary: Merlin snaps.

Setting: Post Season 4

I got the idea for this drabble after watching Shutter Island. 

"Please Merlin, believe me! I don't care about the magic. Just please, please come back!" Arthur silently begged his best friend. Tears clouded his vision, but the sight of Merlin with his wrists shackled to the walls and his ankles to the ground, or the multiple chains wrapping around his torso, has become a familiar sight to the King. The warlock wasn't being locked up for treason or for having magic; he was restrained to prevent him from harming himself.

Merlin's eyes glinted with a wicked ghost of a smirk. He cackled a low and deep laugh and then his voice too high and unrestrained for his normal self. Arthur bit back a sob at the state that his servant, advisor, protector, and brother had descended too. Merlin lost himself.

"Do you know what it's like Arthur Pendragon? Do you know what it's like to grow up a normal life believing that besides your crazy magic, you were just a normal human being with emotions and feelings, and then being told you WEREN'T human at all? Do you know what it's like to believe you're a monster? NO YOU DON'T!

"All my life, I've lived in fear, not for being discovered, no, that would just mean my death. I've lived in fear of my own magic. I THOUGHT I WAS A FREAK! With a flick of my fingers or a small whisper I could send men flying to their deaths. Do you know what it's like to always contain your emotions, so that you never hurt the ones you love? No you don't!

"If that wasn't bad enough, how would you feel lying to the one person you trust the most, care about, and would protect without a second thought, only to know that if you ever did tell that friend the truth, he would kill you! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT'S LIKE?" Merlin screamed and pulled against the chains screaming at Arthur. Arthur stumbled backwards. Tears rolled down Arthur's face. He did this. He turned Merlin into this...

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Merlin. I can't change the past. But...we can change the future. You and me together. Please. Just come back my friend." Arthur choked a sob. "I need you," The whisper so soft it nearly flew over Merlin's ears. Merlin smiled and threw his head back.

"HAHAHA THE PENDRAGON NEEDS ME. Ahahaha," Merlin's laughs followed Arthur even after he ran out of the dungeons. The same laugh haunted him for as long as he lived.

Vote and Comment!

Kiki1770