The Natural Call...

Warning: Light Angst

Narrator's POV

A month passed and life in Hell seemed to come to come to a screeching halt as nature began to crawl closer and closer to demon-kind.

Before long, Mating Season would begin.

While demons called it a season, it wasn't an annual event, happening once a decade and lasting a week.

So on this Sunday morning, Ciel was in the game-room playing chess with his aunt while his father and Bella spectated; Bella planning to play against the victor of this match, Vincent having already been beaten by Ciel last round.

Right as the bluenette went to have his room capture Ann's pawn, he grunted in pain and clutches his stomach, beginning to sweat profusely.

"Ciel, what's wrong?" Vincent asked, concerned

"Are you alright?" Ann asked, worried for him

Bella though, wasn't concerned, "Well looks like the fun's starting."

"What?" Vincent and Ann simultaneously asked

"Mating Season started." Bella clarified, but the two still looked confused, "Did we forget to tell you guys about it?"

Ciel began to stand on wobbly legs, but fell to the floor, "Damn it."

In the nick of time, the door opened to reveal Sebastian, who was also beginning to sweat, he promptly pickled Ciel up and left with him.

Once the mates were gone, Bella turned back to the confused demons, "Basically every single demon is going to go into heat/ruts for the next week. It effects mated couples first —since they have the best odds of actually making a baby— and works its way down to the rest of us. Succubi go down first to give incubi a chance to 'find a safe mating place'. We have an hour at most until it starts for us. Find someone to mate with. I'll be spending my week with Taz."

Bella left, first checking in on Lau and Ran-Mao to make sure they knew the drill and then went to Wrath Palace.

***

Meanwhile, Ciel was a mess as he rolled on the bed, trying to feel cool as his heat increased.

He desperately wanted out of his clothes and his incubus within him.

Said incubus was busy peeling off his own layers, throwing them into the corners of the room to clean up next week.

Once he was stripped, he began to do the same to his mate, knowing only skin-to-skin contact would bring the succubus any sort of relief.

The moment the bluenette was bare, he pounced onto the other male, straddling him as their lips crashed together.

Too blinded by instincts to care, the succubus easily handed over control of the kiss.

Before long, the shorter of the two was pinned down and the horizontal waltz began.

***

After around 12 hours of mating, clarity finally returned for the two mates, nature's way of giving them an opportunity to fetch a soul to begin the mating ritual.

Sebastian squeezed Ciel's hand, his way of asking if he wanted to try again.

Ciel shook his head, he didn't want to do the mating ritual for a long time.

***

In their Roanoke apartment, in the late fall of 1975, recently 100 year old Ciel Phantomhive-Michaelis stared at the piece of paper in his hands with a smile.

Just a week ago, Ciel had gone to a small clinic dressed up as a girl to get a blood test done and had just received the results in the mail.

His heart fluttered in joy as he read the words near the bottom of the sheet, "Result - Positive."

The cat demon carefully folded the paper and placed it in the photo album for this decade, marking the confirmation of his pregnancy.

In late February of 1976, Ciel looked at his slightly bumped stomach, he was just halfway into his pregnancy —only at the end of his fourth month— where it just looked like he was just over-eating, he wouldn't look pregnant for a few more weeks.

Well, if he went in public that is, in the past three months Sebastian had become even more over-protective than ever, not letting him move on his own even just to sit up in bed.

It made sense why he was being this over protective, seeing that Ciel was rather fragile when pregnant.

But all good things came to an abrupt end the following night, Ciel screaming in pain as he had a miscarriage.

***

In the nearly 102 years they had been mates, Ciel had become pregnant five times and had a miscarriage every single time.

His longest pregnancy had been the one in 1976, at four months, and the shortest had been his first in 1930, which had lasted little over a month.

Neither one of them knew why they were having so much trouble carrying a pregnancy to term, why're it was just the low demon fertility and strict maximum population or whether their bloodlines brought extra problems to the table —Sebastian not knowing his own and Ciel knowing his mother had a hard time carrying him and his aunt loosing her own baby.

But at the end of the day, the only request Ciel had ever made that Sebastian was yet to deliver was the request of a child —the raven demon refused to regard it as a failed request, still having hope.

***

The week passed with little regard, the demons just mating with each other.

Like every decade, maybe a half-dozen of the 5,000ish couples might have conceived but only one or two might carry to term...