18:

(Stage Three: When the Sakuras Bloom)

"Sword skill: Lightning blade!"

The sky tumbled and Asugaya heaved his sword against the trunk of the tree. Sword now glowing bright yellow, unleashed a full on attack.

I walked toward the the body of the tree to examine the damage, I touched the slice, a fine deep cut into it. I gave him a thumbs up, "Not bad, this one was a heavy hitter!"

I hand Asugaya an EP replenish potion and he chugs it down easily. After downing it, he sheaths his sword back into his belt.

"Didn't you ever see mom fight?"

I shook my head, "Actually only once. But I'm as paralyzed, I was facing the ground so I couldn't see anything. She was fighting Akari. Ms. Kirigaya—I mean Asuna, let out a weird purple sword skill. Couldn't catch a glimpse but I heard it perfectly."

I pull out my sword and pretend to strike forward and slash, "She went forward something like this, judging by the sound I heard. Doing that for about...erm eleven times?"

"Eleven times? That's one sword skill then." He cupped his chin with his hand, posturing a sign of thought, "Only one meaning, it's a personal skill."

Personal skills were hard to come by. These skills are tailored by the game to perfectly fit your fighting style. Normally, a sword skill could land about one to two attacks per skill. Personal sword skills were big ones, letting you attack players more than twice.

Hitting your enemy eleven times with precision was something I'd expect from someone as fast as Asuna. Her speed plus her light rapier complemented each other so perfectly, this eleven hit sword skill is way deadlier.

The thing was only people who are very good in their sword fighting can get a shot in having a personal skill. Me and Asugaya will never fit the bill. But if there's one thing he has an advantage of, it was his eyes. All this time Asugaya has a high level search skill and sight skill. Really high, it could maybe match Asuna's speed.

"Asugaya, have you maxed out your sight skills?"

"Nah," he answered, "But it's doing good. I'm more than halfway maxing it out."

"Well, if you try really hard. Just try. If you could see her footing change just the right moment,"

I snapped my fingers and he jump from startling whilst giving him a confident grin, "You could at least parry it the last second."

"You think I got a chance? Against mom, a former player of SAO?" He desired for reassurance.

"If there's one thing I learned from her class, it's using everything you got to bring out the best in you. Asugaya, you're her son, I know you can let out a good fight."

He frowned and trembled, crumpling his fist, "B-but if I lose,"

I lightly punch his shoulder, "Then that's fine. We gotta know our boundaries, don't we?"

I presented my sword in front of him. He nods and slides out his. We parry and strike each other, using our blades as both defense and offense. Never missing a beat on our sword slashes. Each hit was crucial. Even if it misses, it's still open for another tactic.

We trained until nightfall and head inside, lying down on our futons. I couldn't sleep. At least Asugaya knew who he was going to face. I had no clue who my opponent was, their fighting style or appearance. I look at my friend who was sound asleep. I was huddled at the corner. Anxious about tomorrow.