seven

When the sun rays peeked through Kailey's living room curtains, she cowered as she tried to cling onto another few minutes of sleep. She tried to shift her position, to hide her face from the brightness. She stretched out her legs, and reached out her arms, feeling some cracks and some stiffness. She was puzzled to why she was even inside her living room in the first place. Her hand struck something unusual. Another body? She finally opened her eyes to find herself next to her partner, Mark. He was also asleep, but stirring, seemingly close to waking up as well. He was reclined back on the end of the couch, the footrest up. The orange cat, Jig, was curled up on his legs. She was laying down across the two seats beside him. The other kitten was resting above her on the back of the couch. Her feet were hung over the armrest at the opposite end from Mark.

The memories from the night before came back. The dinner,  Amanda, her asking him to come in. She was still dressed in her office clothes. Mark still had on the same black shirt and dress pants from their date. The television was still on, the news playing softly in the background. If she had to guess, it was probably close to eight. That's usually when the sun was this bright in her home. It seemed to rise just above her window every day nearing the end of the summer. A groggy groan came from beside her. She strained her neck to look over at the man who had just woken up. 

She recalled what had happened after they came inside. They had went right to the couch, exhausted from the long day. They had switched on the T.V. for background noise. They shared conversations about what the woman had learned at the police station that night. Midst of their talk, they must have dozed off. "Morning, sleepy head." Kailey said sarcastically as Mark took in his surroundings. She sat up, and rolled her neck, removing the kinks that had formed from sleeping on the sofa. 

"What time is it?" He asked, taking a deep breath and rubbing his eyes. She moved to check the clock hanging on the wall. 

"Eight-thirty." She replied. She stood, and walked to her bedroom. She picked out some more comfortable clothes. A pair of jeans and a grey t-shirt. She returned to the living room. Mark hadn't made an attempt to move yet. "I'm going to shower." She announced. He nodded, barely responding. He shifted and closed his eyes again, ready to go back to sleep. She made her way to the bathroom, turning on the water. She let it warm up before she discarded her wrinkled attire. When she got in, she rested her head on the shower wall, letting herself feel everything that's happened in the last few days. It only took the smaller part of a week for everything to change for her.

At that moment, she had a man in her living room. A man she'd known for years, but just recently had decided to trust. She reflected on the cases, the bodies that had been discovered. She found that a tear was falling out of her eye. She didn't cry often, but in the shower was the best place to do it. Alone, where nobody else could hear or see it. she was used to hiding her tears and pain. She had to when she was an adolescent, to protect her brother. He was impressionable, and she was his parental figure. Their aunt took care of him when she left for her studies, but only for a little while, until his was able to make his own food and take care of himself.

When she finished up and dressed herself, she could hear Mark trudging around in the kitchen. When she opened the bathroom door, she was hit with the strong aroma of coffee. It filled all of her senses, and she had hoped he had made her one as well. When she rounded the corner by the refrigerator, the two collided. Mark grabbed her before she had the chance to fall. She grinned at him as he steadied her. 

"There's a spare toothbrush in the bathroom," She paused and looked at the counter, seeing two mugs filled with black coffee. "Thank you." She said, gratefully. He used the information and made his way to the bathroom as the woman grabbed the cream and sugar. 

As he brushed his teeth, he looked around the bathroom. It was quaint. It was small, but she used the space wisely. The clothes basket in the corner showed him her clothes from yesterday slung over the side, lazily. The walls were a light grey, and a small window stood on the wall across from the door. It was scarily clean in there, not a bit of dust around. She seemed like she kept her house this clean all of the time. He finished up, splashing some water over his face. He couldn't believe he had fallen asleep there. He didn't mind it, but he was scared to invade her space. He didn't want her to think he was being clingy.