CHAPTER 5

Shrutakirti took her through narrow corridors, and way inside the palace. Both of them reached a room bigger than the previous one. Three ladies dressed in white were seated on separate divans, while two other maidens stood around them. Shruti at once knew the ladies in white were the three queens, Kaushalya, Kaikeyi, and Sumitra. The other two must be Lakshmana's wife Urmila and Bharat's wife Mandavi. She of course knew only their names. So, an introduction was required. One of the queens said, "Shrutakirti! Who is this little girl?" She said, "Mother Sumitra, she is the one about whom you heard."

The second queen got up. "Oh! So it is her who did all that!"

Shrutakirti said, "Yes mother Kaikeyi." The third queen said, "Did she meet Ram?" She replied, "Yes mother Kaushalya." One of the two maidens said, "Why did you bring her here? I heard she would face the British." Shrutakirti replied, "You heard the right thing, sister Mandavi. My lord has trained her too. She just has to face the British now. She is really witty and intelligent. I couldn't answer even one of her riddles, but she answered all of my riddles. I thought it would be nice if you all met her."

The last maiden, who was obviously Urmila, said, "You did well by bringing her here." Shruti smiled and greeted them all by joining her hands. Kaikeyi said, "Come here my child."

Shruti went to her and she held her hands. "Your name is Shruti, right?" Shruti replied, "Yes, my queen." Sumitra said, "You are indeed very brave." Shruti said, "Not more than our king." Kaushalya said, "Are you ready for the British?" She replied, "Yes, my queen." Mandavi said, "Were her riddles really so tough Shrutakirti?" Shrutakirti said, "Yes, sister. Believe me." Kaikeyi said, "We'll try and answer them. I'm sure we can. Ask us Shruti." Shruti said, "I don't want to be doubted for being partial, so I'll ask you the riddles I had asked sister Shrutakirti."

All the ladies widened their eyes and looked at Shrutakirti. They then smiled and looked at Shruti. Shrutakirti sat beside Sumitra and Urmila and Mandavi too sat beside Kaushalya and Kaikeyi respectively.

Shruti moved a few steps back to get a glimpse of everyone. "So, who can tell me, what breaks in water but never on land?" She signalled Shrutakirti to remain silent while the rest of the ladies were lost in thought.

After a short while Kaushalya said, "A fish's life?"

Shruti shook her head disapprovingly. "That breaks on land."

Urmila said, "But that breaks in water too." Shruti replied, "The answer to this riddle breaks only in water, never on land." Everyone were again lost in thought.

Shruti and Shrutakirti were smiling at the sight. Shruti checked her watch while waiting for the answer. 4:28 pm. She began walking in circles around the women. Mandavi said, "Why are you hovering over us like that?"

Shruti replied, "I'm getting bored. So, I'm just doing some time pass. Answer me fast and I'll stop hovering." After a few more circles around them, she stood beside Shrutakirti and both of them were enjoying the confused looks on their faces. At last Sumitra said, "I give up." Urmila said, "Me too." Kaushalya said, "Me too." Mandavi said, "Me too." Shruti looked at Kaikeyi, who said, "I won't give up just as yet."

After a few minutes, Kaushalya said, "I can't control my curiosity. At least whisper the answer to the rest of us."

Shruti smiled. "Curiosity kills the cat, my queen. Have patience."

A few more minutes later, Kaikeyi too gave up. Everyone expected Shruti to tell the answer. She went back to the same place where she was earlier standing. "Shall I tell the answer?"

Everyone said in a chorus, "Yes."

Shruti looked at Shrutakirti, who understood that she wanted her to tell the answer. "Waves."