9. Acceptance

[Michael]

•••

May 20th, 1976

"Come on, Mike! Open it already!"

One piece of paper—a few, mere words—could determine my entire future. The envelope that was in between my shaky grasp contained the letter I'd received back from the college I'd applied to, and I was more than ready to set it free from its seal to reveal the news of my fate. Getting accepted into my dream school would be my ultimate ticket to success as I knew it—it'd be my one chance to gain what I never got to experience.

"I'm going, Jan! I'm going!" I answered back, playfully swatting her arm that was trying to snatch the envelope from my hand. I took a final breath I didn't know I was holding before using my thumb to slide the envelope open as I took the folded up piece of paper out to begin reading its contents. "'It is with great pleasure that I offer you admission to the Stanford University Class of 1980!'" I couldn't believe the words that'd just fallen from lips. I was thankful to have it in writing, knowing that I wouldn't be able to stop reading it.

That was it—one chapter of my life complete.

"Oh my God, Mike!" Janet squealed excitedly. "Do you know what this means?"

"I'm going to my dream college." Again, I was in complete and utter disbelief at what I was saying, but when I felt Janet wrap her arms around my waist in a tight embrace, it started to feel all the more real. I returned her embrace, thankful that I was able to share the moment with her. "I'm going to my dream college!" I repeated the statement with much more enthusiasm that time.

"What's going on in here?" Mother questioned, walking into the kitchen with a curious brow raised.

I ran up to her quickly, and in my state of pride, I waved the letter in front of her. "Read it and prepare to be proud!"

Mother took the letter from my grasp, putting her glasses on that hung from the chain around her neck. From her expression, I'd assumed she'd read the magic words. "Oh, Michael, this is so wonderful!" she praised as she held me in her arms and squeezed me dearly. "I couldn't be prouder of you!"

I embraced her with everything that I had. Truly, it was my mother that'd been my main inspiration in my life. She was an angel in my eyes, and everything I'd been able to accomplish—from maintaining my grades to the work ethic I'd built—had all been because of her. "Thank you so much, Mother. I won't let you down, I promise."

"I know you won't, dear," Mother assured me. She pinched my cheek in her pure gratitude. "I can already picture you doing amazing things."

I gave her a look that said everything my words couldn't, and after a few more moments of celebration that took place between Janet, Mother, and I, I practically dashed into the living room area to get a hold of the wall phone as quickly as possible. Reaching it, I dialed the familiar number, smiling to myself as I did so. I stared off dreamily as the phone rang, anxiously awaiting for the person on the other end. I wasn't going to go another minute without doing that.

Within seconds, I heard the soft "Hello?" ringing in my ears, and that was practically music to them. "Imani, you're never gonna believe this! After many dreams and many sacrifices, I'm finally gonna make it!"