Chapter 11

Eldrid wakes the next morning to a warm glow on her back and a soft pillow beneath her head. For a minute, she simply lies there basking in the sun and the warm memories of the night before.

She remembers a lovely evening, wonderful food and Loki, above all she remembers him. After the food, they'd talked for hours, simply lying beneath the stars and talking about everything. She remembers the glint in his eyes when he laughed and the way his hair fell when he layed down.

What she doesn't remember is how she made her way to bed, or how she came to be wearing her favorite nightgown, or how her hair came to be up in a bun on her head.

The answer comes to her when she opens her eyes to a fully clothed Loki sleeping on top of the covers, his dark lashes resting on his porcelain face.

'And a gentleman' she thinks as she contemplates his restful beauty.

"Eldrid it's rude to stare," he mutters, scaring her half out of her mind. His eyes flutter open and he looks up at Eldrid as she lays there.

"Did you bring me to bed?" 

"Yes, you were dead on your feet so I carried you back here and readied you for bed, I hope you do not mind?" His eyebrows furrow, worried that he may have crossed a line.

"Oh, no!" Eldrid jumps to correct him quickly, "Only I wondered... you used magic, yes?"

His smooth cheeks blush prettily "Of course, I used magic I mean, I- I wouldn't..."

"What's this? Loki Silver tongue unable to find the words?"

"You're going to wish you did not say that." She only has the time to widen her eyes before he's on top of her, pinning her down with his weight and lifting her chin gently. "You know, I've heard that every witch has a weakness..."

She screams as he tickles her mercilessly, writhing and giggling and screeching as he tickles beneath her chin, her knees, and her stomach.

"Yield," Loki commands, his voice cold though his mouth is stretched in a grin.

For a moment, she simply lies catching her breath. Then, a smile flits onto her face and she whispers "Never." then disappears from the bed. Of course, she didn't go far for when Loki turns around, there she stands. She tackles him back onto the bed, sitting on his torso as he pants up at her.

"Never tell a witch to yield, Lo, it never works."

"Lo?" he questions, one eyebrow furrowed in confusion.

"It's a nickname, a name that you give to those that you are close to," she explains patiently, still sitting atop of him.

"I know what a nickname is... El." He smiles a little at this and their eyes lock. The tension is palpable. Slowly, Eldrid leans forward. More. And more. And more. Until their faces are mere inches apart. And then she rolls off of him, a scarlet blush creeping up her neck.

"I'm going to get dressed, you should too." She says, then disappears into the bathroom. suddenly, the privacy shield is up and they are separated once more.

------------------------------------------------------------

"So," Natasha begins as she jumps up onto the kitchen island "how was it? Was it amazing? Tell me everything!"

"It was truly amazing. He set up this amazing picnic and all of these fairy lights and blankets, we layed beneath the stars and chatted until the early hours of the morning. Then he carried me to bed, I was 'dead on my feet' as he said. It was wonderful!" Elfrid flips eggs onto a plate for each of them and carries them to the table, Nat trailing behind.

"El... that really sounds like a date."

Her fork falters on the way to her mouth "Yes, I think it was. When I woke this morning I was in my pajamas and my hair was in a bun. I was so confused but when I rolled over, he was there, still clothed and lying on top of the covers. He was a perfect gentleman. We nearly... kissed... but I stopped it. I'm supposed to be his guard, not his Paramour. I don't know, Nat." She places the fork on the table and buries her head in her hands, a wave of unsurety washes over her.

Mere seconds later she feels a gentle arm snake around her shoulders, pulling her into an embrace.

"El, I don't know where all of this confusion is coming from but, even with all of my misgivings about Loki, I can see that he likes you. He really does. Just in the way that you guys look at each other I can see it." Eldrid abruptly pulls away, standing from the table.

She runs a hand roughly through her hair. "I simply cannot draw Loki into this trap, everyone that I've ever loved has left or died of been subjected to far worse treatment. I cannot do this again. My future depends on me changing Loki for the better and that I shall do but I will not put him at risk." With that, she turns and storms away leaving Natasha, mouth agape, behind her.

Word count: 861
Word count exclusive