CHAPTER TWELVE

As night fell over Narnia, an inexplicable eeriness came with it. It  began at supper as a simple, quiet pulse, a flicker of anxiety in  preoccupied bellies. The deeper the sun dipped into the sea, however,  the stronger the unease grew until it flooded the valley and haunted all  who rest in it's wake. From beneath thin sheets, Eilonwy pressed the  heels of her hands into her eye sockets in hopes of forcing herself to  sleep, but to no avail. Colors danced behind her eyelids, a parade of  haphazard blotches taunting her inability to rest until finally, she  gave up and rolled onto her side with a huff. Strained eyes stared into  the darkness at familiar furniture, the stone embedded in her box  painting the tent's ceiling in a tangerine glow. The longer she stared,  though, the more she realized something wasn't quite right. The ornate  chair across from her, upon which her crimson cloak was once strewn,  stood empty.

   Before she could ponder further, however, the snap  of a branch caught her attention and her eyes darted to a lurking shadow  cast upon her tent's wall. In the darkness, the shape was skewed to  where she was unsure whether it's owner was monster or man. Regardless,  any trespasser was worthy of suspicion. Drawing her sword, she hopped to  her feet and eyed the figure as it skated toward the entry.

"One step further and I'll draw and quarter you like game!" she  threatened, adopting a violent stance. The being froze, back stiff and  eyes wide.

"You know, you're becoming dangerously hostile toward  my trouser region" Peter jested softly, voice cracking in masked unease.  The moment Eilonwy realized it was him, she heaved a sigh of relief and  lowered her weapon.

"You know, introductions would be rather  appropriate here. Don't they have those where you're from?" she asked,  sheathing her sword. The knight inched his way closer, eyes darting  around the room and hand tucked suspiciously behind his back.

"Sorry, I suppose I didn't want to wake anyone" he replied with a  sheepish smile. Eilonwy shot him a puzzled glance as she seated herself  on the edge of her bed, then ushered him to join her. Though he  hesitated a moment, he eventually shuffled closer and took a seat on the  bed beside her. A nervous energy pulsated between them.

Shoulder to shoulder, jolts of electricity coursed through the  huntress's body until her ears rang with the pain of silence. Softly  clearing her throat, she smoothed her skirts before murmuring, "You, uh,  you must be so relieved about your brother."

 Rubbing the back of  his neck, Peter nodded. "I am. I'm just glad he came back in one piece"  he replied with a light chuckle. A small smile flashed on Eilonwy's  lips as she nodded in agreement.

"His scrapes and bruises will  heal easily, I'm sure. Whatever emotional trauma Jadis inflicted upon  him, however...not so much" she replied. Peter's hollow laugh trailed  off, his face slowly sinking into that of a much more serious  expression. Eilonwy yearned to know what he was thinking, of the  concerns coursing through his head, but couldn't bring herself to  outright ask. Rather, the pair slipped into another deafening silence.

Blue eyes locked themselves on the empty chair as the knight's free  hand trembled anxiously. His other was still securely hidden behind his  back and for a moment, Eilonwy almost thought she caught sight of  something shimmering in his tight grasp. She didn't dare question it,  though.

The tension in their quietness escalated until Eilonwy  could no longer bear it. Her heart raced in her chest at Peter's anxious  silence, her mouth running dry and palms growing sweaty. Biting her  lip, she stared at him a moment more before bursting. "Alright, Peter,  tell me why you're really here."

The sudden disruption startled  the knight, as if he had nearly forgotten where he was or who he was  with. He stared back at her with wide, confused eyes for a second before  floundering to formulate a reply. His stammering was no more reassuring  than his silence was and Eilonwy dug her nails into her palms to try  and keep her patience.

"I-I..I have something to tell you" he  spluttered nervously, rising from his seat to pace the tent. Eilonwy  furrowed her brows as she watched him, nails digging even deeper into  her calloused flesh. "Eilonwy, the...well, the battle is tomorrow and  I...I've been thinking a lot about the--the dangers that come with it"  he continued. In that instance, a wave of relief washed over the  huntress as she waited for him to finish, though she already knew  exactly what else he was going to say. Obviously, due to his body  language and fidgety demeanor, he must have just been insanely nervous.  After all, she couldn't imagine him feeling anything less. A part of him  wondered what the wars of his world were like, but she doubted he had  participated in any of them. After all, when they first met, he could  barely defend himself, let alone an entire country. Dropping her  shoulders, Eilonwy rested her chin in her hand as she watched him pace  aimlessly and stammer.

Her eyes burned holes through Peter's  skin as he struggled to admit what he need to say. He pressed his hidden  trinket into his palm nervously, its diadems imprinting his skin, and  silently begged for an easy way to confess his emotions. Squeezing his  eyes shut, he then finally said it. "Eilonwy, I don't want you in the  battle tomorrow."

Breathless, the huntress's mouth gaped as she  stared blankly toward the knight, stunned by his request. "W-what? But  that's not fair! Why not?" she demanded. A sickening anger rose up from  inside of her, coated in thorns and disbelief. After a hundred years  surviving on her own, she knew she had just as much if not more  expertise than anyone else in Aslan's army. She wasn't even sure if  Aslan himself had approved Peter's decision but perhaps it wasn't the  lion's choice to make. Even without the crown, Peter was already acting  like a high king and his growing superiority made her sick.

Sucking in a deep breath, Peter rubbed his eyes with his free hand and  searched for the right words to say. It wasn't even as if his request  was planned, though he didn't dare tell her what he originally intended.  He wasn't brave enough. "Eilonwy, please try to understand. I have a  responsibility to keep Narnia safe and that includes you, too. Battles  are ugly and dangerous and no place for a woman. You could get severely  injured or-or worse and I refuse to let that happen. You're not going"  he elaborated. As he recited his spiel, his confidence slowly evolved  until his back had straightened and he was eyeing Eilonwy with an  authoritative gaze. Despite his vast knowledge of her skill, there was a  morsel of truth in his lie. The vision of his friend stabbed or  slaughtered churned his stomach and obstructed his throat.

Fury  began coursing through Eilonwy's veins at his speech, however, growing  angrier with each word until she finally exploded. "I can't believe you!  You knew nothing until I came along and even then, you're still  inferior! What do you expect me to do meanwhile, anyways? Sit idly by  like some lady in waiting? Knit afghans with Mrs. Beaver? You know, my  gender does not make me any less of a solider than you or anyone else in  this godforsaken camp!" she ranted, abruptly rising from the bed.

"Eilonwy, i-it's not--!" Peter tried to interrupt but the huntress refused to pause in her fury.
    "I am strong enough and skilled enough and you know that! Unless your  greatest fear is that a woman could kill the White Witch quicker and  cleaner than you could. Is that what it is? Are you afraid I'm better  than you? That a woman is better than you? Hmm? Or is it something else?  Humor me, Peter, please!" she spewed, fists clenched at her sides.  Peter tried to interject but to no avail. By the end of her shouting,  Eilonwy's face had grown bright red and her brows were furrowed at an  almost unnatural angle.

Peter was shaken by her rage for only a  moment before forcing a kingly air about himself, clenching his jaw and  staring down at her with a stony gaze. "Eilonwy, I'm not going to  negotiate this. I have enough to worry about, let alone keeping you from  getting yourself killed" he responded.

"You never answered my  question!" she shouted back, glaring up at him. He was easily an entire  foot taller than her which made it very hard to feel as intimidating as  she wished she did.

"Who said I needed to?" Peter rebuked. The muscles in his jaw flexed with frustration and a hint of fear.

"I do!" she screamed. "I think I at least deserve an explanation as to  why you're treating me like...like some child! My seniority ought to be  enough to make you think twice of your commands, your majesty. I'd be  an invaluable asset to Aslan's army and you know that!"

"Your  skill is no longer important! Your disobedience, however, is! Why can't  you just listen to someone other than yourself for once in your life?  You don't always know best, Eilonwy!" Peter fired back.

At that,  Eilonwy bit her lip and glared up at the knight with glossy eyes. Over  the years, she had been beaten, belittled, and abandoned yet somehow his  words hurt more than everything else combined. Bowing her head, she  murmured softly, "I can't believe I ever thought I could trust you." The  pain quivering in her voice was brutally evident, though she refused to  admit it's presence. In one swift motion, she drew her sword and  pointed the blade's tip at Peter's chest. "Get out. Now" she commanded  quietly. Peter only allowed himself a moment to express his surprise  before straightening his back once more, though his dominance slowly  began to crumble beneath her harsh eye contact. "I-I said get out!" she  shouted, poking her blade nearer to him.

 "Why is this so hard  for you?" Peter fired back, refusing to retreat at the mercy of her  defense. Given his previous experiences, a deep part of him expected  Eilonwy to impale him that very instance but he noticed a certain  glimmer in her eyes that negated the idea. It was, he perceived, a  foreign softness to her usually threatening nature. One that hinted that  perhaps she no longer had the capacity for that level of hatred. Or at  least he hoped.

"Because you're being an absolute ass! My safety  should be the least of your concerns, especially when it could greatly  affect your success in battle. Why do you even care so much, anyways?"  she shouted back.

"Because I--!" Peter started before quickly  halting himself. He was then met with a grave decision to make, the  hardest kind of all. He was met with the opportunity to tell the truth.  The words he had wanted to say from the beginning tangled in his throat  and choked him breathless, the trinket nearly piercing his skin.  Averting his eyes, he drew in a deep breath and attempted to center  himself.

"Well?" Eilonwy spat after a few moments of silence,  growing wildly impatient. She detected a strange sense of indecision on  Peter's face, reflecting an internal conflict she didn't quite  understand. The sole presence of it jolted her heart into her throat and  charged an electricity through her limbs that trembled her hands  violently. She needed an answer, a reassurance, an explanation as to why  he was treating her in such a way.
   Finally, he mustered the most viable answer he could form. "Because I'm the high king and you listen to me"  he spoke with quiet restraint, gaze hard and teeth clenched. There was a  forced confidence in his features that instantly took hold of Eilonwy  and forced her to lower her blade. In that instance, she finally saw the  return of that terrified boy she had first met in Allies Enclave, that  same fear painting his face as when he stared upon Jadis's imposing  castle. He may have been a knight but he was still just a kid. Not only  that, but he was a kid thrown into an adult war. A kid silently  screaming his fears. Dropping her gaze to the grass, she sunk back down  upon her cot and the pair drifted into a heavy silence.

The  quietness slowly cooled both their tempers until they were overflowing  with emptiness and regret. Their opinions still stood strong but their  desires for those opinions were another matter entirely. As time crept  by, Eilonwy finally opened her mouth to speak. "Y-you should, uh...you  should get back. Edmund's probably wondering where you ran off to" she  whispered, refusing to meet his gaze. Eyes locked on the dirt, Peter  drew in a deep breath before giving a minute nod and digging the toe of  his boot into the dirt.

"You're right. I-I wouldn't want to worry  him..." he murmured back. Wrapping her arms around her abdomen, Eilonwy  watched with solemn eyes as Peter approached the exit. His movements  were slow and sluggish as if he was lugged down by the weight of the  world. He brushed back the tent's flaps and disappeared from her view,  pausing within the cul de sac of residential quarters. Kicking at the  earth, he cursed under his breath and dug the trinket deeper into his  flesh. He just couldn't understand why this was so damn hard for him,  why he couldn't just tell her what she needed to know. The thought of  admitting his feelings made him instantly weak and he swallowed hard to  try and rid himself of the overwhelming fear. He couldn't swallow back  his desperation, though. He needed to tell her, especially with the  lingering time constraints of an impending war. For all he knew, he may  not have any other chance. For all he knew, this was his last night  alive. Staring up at the stars dancing overhead, he sighed in  exasperation and searched for some inkling of reassurance. When he found  none, he bowed his head, squeezed the trinket deeper against his palm,  and returned to his tent in silent defeat.

Across the way, Lucy  lay awake in her own bed, huffing frustratedly as she tried to find the  most comfortable position. A strange grunting noise caught her  attention, however, and she jolted upright to find the shadow of a  massive beast gliding across the tent's wall.

"Susan!" she  whispered frantically, recognizing the creature at once. Furrowing her  brows, the young woman squinted at her baby sister in confusion before  spying the form itself. In an instant, the two threw back their blankets  and snatched their weapons. As Lucy approached the exit, however, she  glanced back to find her elder sister had paused beside the foot of the  bed. Beneath her usual cloak lay a pile of bright red fabric, it's  underside invisible. Lucy's eyes widened a moment at the initial sight  of it, taken aback by it's presence. "Susan, where did that come from?"  the youngest questioned suspiciously.

Susan pursed her lips as  she hooked her own cape around her neck. "I'm just borrowing it!" she  replied, trying to save face. "Besides, I can't imagine things would go  very well should we be seen out of bed at such an hour" she added. Lucy  sighed indecisively, paying one last glance to the beast's figure as it  disappeared into the trees. Before she could protest, however, Susan had  already scooped up the magical cloak and disappeared into the darkness. 

Before they could venture very far, Susan placed a gentle hand  upon Lucy's shoulder and beckoned her closer. Though the youngest was  all too eager to unearth the great lion's strange plan, Susan better  understood the tactics behind successful sneaking. In one swift motion,  she wrapped the mystical fabric around the both of them and they  vanished from sight.

Aslan crept through the forest in slow,  methodical movements, head bowed and eyes locked on the ground before  him. The girls watched curiously, their minds racing as they tried to  deduce what he was doing or where he was going. There were only so many  responsibilities he could need to fulfill at such a late hour but the  Pevensie sisters were determined to discover the truth. They stepped  lightly as they weaved through the maze of trees, careful not to step on  a stray twig or crunch the leaves beneath their feet. No matter how  silently they lurked, however, they could not fool the ancient lion.

"It's very late. Shouldn't you both be asleep?" he asked suddenly,  pausing amongst the evergreens. A gasp escaped Lucy's lips as Susan  slowly tore away the cloak.

 "How did you...?" the eldest began before Aslan interrupted.

 "You cannot easily fool me with such trickery. I will always know of  your whereabouts" he explained. A soft blush rose to Susan's cheeks, her  plan foiled, as she averted her eyes in embarrassment. The lion's  ethereal knowledge was puzzling and slightly concerning but now that she  knew of his power, her theft seemed rather unnecessary. Licking her  lips, she balled the cloak up and held it close to her chest as she and  her sister approached.

"Please, Aslan. Can we come with you?"  Lucy asked hopefully, hands clasped to her chest. Standing so close to  the lion, she was overcome with his magnificence and flooded with a warm  sensation of longing and protection.

Aslan remained silent for a  moment before bowing his head and replying, "As it is yoru right, you  may, but only for a short while. I give you my thanks for the company,  however short it may be." In that instant, his words seemed to convey an  underlying permission for the two young queens to do the terrifying  thing they did next. Hesitantly, Lucy lifted her hand to softly  intertwine her fingers with the lion's mane. His ear twitched slightly  but he ceased to protest, so they both laced the thick hair in their  grasp as they walked.

 Moonlight fell through the branches in  fragmented patches across three solemn faces traversing the wood. The  journey seemed infinite, all the trees nearly identical to one another.  The quietness instilled a sense of tranquility within them, yet deep  down charged the girls with an inexplicable paranoia. They didn't dare  question the beast regardless of their hunger for an explanation.
    Just before reaching a break in the trees, the lion paused and broke  their eternal silence. "The time has come. From here, I must go on  alone" he announced in his deep, solemn voice. Lucy slowly released her  grip, recoiling towards her sister as Susan sidled up beside her. The  eldest stared at him with a grave confusion that sparked unavoidable  questioning, yet again proving that she had no qualms about making  herself heard.

"But Aslan, why can't you--?" she started but the great lion interrupted her.

"Silence, dear one. You must trust me. Now, it is time you both were  in bed. There are things after dark not meant for young girls' viewing"  he spoke. There was a sadness in his burning eyes that further  heightened the sisters' concern, their hearts beating out of their  chests in a symphony of fear and desperation. They stood in silence as  the lion disappeared into the trees, the faint beating of drums reaching  their ears. It took only a moment before they both knew what they must  do. Paying a moment's glance towards each other, Susan draped the cloak  across herself and her sister before disappearing into the night.

When Peter returned, Edmund remained fast asleep and the knight  silently thanked the heavens for his brother's constant slumber. He  assumed the hammock into which the boy was sloppily tucked was certainly  much more accommodating than the arrangements in Jadis's palace. Peter  shuddered at the thought. Sliding off his boots, he settled into his own  bed yet found he still could not fall asleep. He constantly shifted and  sighed, preoccupied with the sea of thoughts surging through his brain.  He thought of the battle, of whether he was skilled enough to defeat  the White Witch. He thought of his brother and his recent imprisonment,  of the horrible conditions he must've been subjected to and how  wonderful vengeance for Edmund would feel. He thought of his sisters,  their sweet faces and melodic voices, and how desperately he wanted to  keep them safe, too. Peter had already agreed that he didn't want either  of them in battle, either, for the sake of their safety and his sanity.  Wars were no place for women, let alone his beloved Susan and Lucy. If  anyone was deserving of a good beating, Peter believed it was himself.  He would much rather take the brunt of the attack than to put his  siblings in danger. Or Eilonwy.

Chewing over their argument  filled him with a great disdain for the way things unfolded. Her  disobedience was in no way satisfying, though neither was his hesitancy.  A strong energy took hold of him in that moment, shoving him out of bed  until he found himself rummaging through his trunk for parchment. If he  couldn't speak to her, perhaps he could bleed his feelings onto paper  and submit them to her without the confrontation. Then at least she  would finally know the truth. Smoothing out an unearthed scrap upon the  nearby desk, he dipped his quill into the ink and began frantically  scribbling every thought that popped into his head. The scratch of the  quill's tip soothed him, as did seeing the fragmented confession spring  to life upon the page. When he was finished, he shook the numbness from  his hand, fanned the parchment dry, and folded it into a neat little  triangle for organization's sake. His eyes then drifted to the trinket  lying upon the desk. Sapphire eyes studied it longingly for a moment,  the diadems of the heart-shaped charm glimmered in the moonlight, framed  by the tangle of it's leather chain. Peter ran his finger over the  jewels encrusted in the metal, the crystals cool against his skin. He  scooped it up and let it fall between his hands before snatching away a  small velvet sack from his trunk and slipping the necklace and note  inside. Tying the bag shut, he tucked it beneath his pillow and then  curled up for a hollow sleep.

Stark sunlight cast it's ray upon  Peter's face in the mid-morning hours, warming his cheeks and lulling  him awake. Rubbing his eyes, he propped himself up on his elbows and  squinted until his vision clarified. Soft grass scratched at his bare  arms and lush evergreens towered above him. The faint babbling of a  nearby brook sang in his ears. In his peripheral vision, he caught sight  of an ethereal figure gliding towards him and his heart rate instantly  quickened. He wanted to jolt up and draw his sword in fear of an  approaching enemy but found his limbs were paralyzed by some  inexplicable calmness. As he slowly turned to face his opponent,  however, his mouth ran dry and his palms grew sweaty.

He knew it  was her immediately yet there was something innately different about  her. Once pale and papery skin was now soft and sunkissed, her tangled  hair pulled into an intricate braid down her back. Her face seemed  fuller, all rosy cheeks and glinting eyes. She licked her cherry lips  and uttered a soft laugh that rattled the autumn leaves. Her dress  hugged her body rather than hung from it, her figure fuller and for a  moment, he swore in certain movements it seemed as if her waistline had  expanded. Perhaps most noticeable, however, was the band around her  finger and the crystalline charm dangling from her neck. She flashed a  crooked smile before beckoning him towards her, mischief emanating from  her hazel eyes.

Suddenly, all the weight that had paralyzed  Peter vanished and he hopped to his feet quickly before chasing after  his friend. Time seemed nonexistent as they raced in the glow of an  autumn sun. They continued their game until they were damp with sweat  and tumbled into the fallen leaves with uproarious laughter. By now,  Eilonwy's braid had come undone, her wild hair falling across her face  and wrapping around her arms. Peter chuckled softly and rolled over to  brush the tendrils back behind her ears, receiving a soft smile in  return. A dreamy look was cast upon her face and instantly, she was  irresistible. Cupping her cheek, he leaned down to press his forehead  against hers. His other hand skated down her neck, across her chest and  abdomen, and lightly gripped her waist. His lips were drawn towards hers  but before he could kiss her, something else suddenly captured his  attention.

 "What about the battle? And the witch?" he whispered breathlessly.

Eilonwy furrowed her brows as she leaned her head back to better view  him. "What battle? What witch?" she asked in genuine confusion. Peter  released her from his grasp and laid back beside her in the leaves,  staring up at the clouds in absolute bewilderment. Perhaps it all was  just a dream: the winter, the witch, the lion, the war. Perhaps  everything he had ever lived thus far was a dream, including his time in  London, and everything that ever was had occurred in Narnia. Perhaps  there was never a time when he wasn't a king.

Eilonwy propped  herself up on her elbows, glancing over at him in concern before rolling  cautiously onto her side and taking Peter's hand in hers. "No more talk  of war, love. This is our time now" she murmured softly. Her words,  though uncharacteristic, somehow soothed him and the young king sighed  in relief. Satisfied, a soft smile graced Eilonwy's lips as she reached  forward and caressed his cheek. Her soft touch sent a jolt of pleasure  through his veins and he closed his eyes with a satisfied smile at the  sensation. However, once his eyes shut, everything turned black and the  warm sunlight had faded for the chill of the dawn. Eilonwy's touch  disappeared. The leaves beneath him softened into blankets wrapped  around his body. Blinking awake, Peter was back in his tent alongside  Edmund...but they weren't alone.

With a gasp, the knight quickly  drew his sword and pointed it toward the strange being. Edmund, now  awake, glanced to his brother frantically as the dryad before them  raised a leafy hand in surrender.

"Be still, my princes. I come  in peace. However, I bring grave news from your sisters" she explained  in her echoing voice. Her words quickly engulfed Peter in panic,  lowering his sword slowly as he awaited her elaboration. Edmund inched  himself upright in his hammock, drawing his knees to his chest as he  paid one more glance to his older brother. Averting her eyes, the dryad  continued sadly, "The great Aslan was murdered upon the stone table last  night, by witness of your sisters."

The incredible words  lingered in the air for moments on end, turning the boys numb at their  impact. "How?" Peter choked out. His hands trembled as he sat up, trying  to appear as regal and authoritative as one possible can while sitting  in a hammock. His mind scrambled to piece together what was now to  become of the matter at hand. He had concerned himself so profusely with  the safety of others, he never thought to protect the one being he was  certain could protect himself. Now Aslan was gone and Peter had nowhere  to turn. He was completely on his own.

The dryad was very  obviously pained by the knight's questioning, averting her eyes and  shaking her head sadly. "By knife of the White Witch, Jadis, or so it is  told" she replied softly. Her leaves trembled, but both Peter and  Edmund knew it was not in response to the breeze.

 Pulling his  knees tight against his chest, Edmund tried to make sense of the dryad's  words, to calculate the truth. He may have only just met the  magnificent beast but a deep, muted part of him already felt as if he  had known Aslan for a lifetime. Even worse, though, was the hazy  realization approaching him in the darkness. His mind harkened back to  that afternoon, Jadis's words echoing in his ears: His blood is my property. That boy must die on the Stone Table, as is tradition.  The witch may have renounced her claim on Edmund's blood but that  didn't mean she was cheated out what she was owed. The puzzle pieces all  aligned. Aslan sacrificed himself to save Edmund. The lion's death was  all his fault. A sickening bout of nausea immediately seized Edmund's  stomach.

Drawing in a deep breath, Peter furrowed his brows in  deep thought before turning his gaze back upon their messenger. "You are  excused" he commanded and the dryad disappeared quickly. A weighted  sadness enveloped the room as the Pevensie brothers sat in silence for a  few unending moments.

"I guess we ought to tell the others"  Edmund then suggested, breaking their silence. Peter looked up at his  brother and gave a single nod before they both rose from their beds,  burdened with an indescribable task. The morning air was relatively cool  and reeked of ash and breakfast meat. Fauns and centaurs were already  sharpening swords and polishing shields in preparation for the battle  ahead and a lump rose in Peter's throat. As he and his brother  approached Aslan's men, something tugged at the eldest's chest and he  glanced back towards Eilonwy's tent solemnly.

"Ed, you go on  ahead. I have something I need to take care of first" Peter explained.  Edmund looked from his brother ot the tent and back again with great  suspicion but replied with merely a nod before disappearing. Now that he  was alone, a crushing weight began to envelope the young knight but he  mustered his strength in the stead of responsibility. Sneaking back into  his tent, he snatched the velvet sack from under his pillow and tucked  it behind his back. The flaps of Eilonwy's tent billowed open at the  mercy of the breeze and he peeked inside to find her fast asleep.  Relieved, he tiptoed into the tent, slowly lifted the lid of her box,  and planted the sack inside.

Drawing in a sharp inhale, Peter  gazed upon the box sadly for only a moment before turning his attention  to the sleeping huntress. Her messy hair fell like a tangled crown about  her head, stray curls painting her pale face. She had returned to her  usual self, papery skin and bony figure, but deep in slumber she seemed  much more benign than she had the night before. Without hesitation, he  gingerly tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and chuckled softly as she  wrinkled her nose, her eyes slowly blinking awake to view him. At  first, in her drunken state, she sighed softly and the corners of her  lips turned upward into a delicate smile. Once she fully regained her  consciousness, however, whatever sweet disposition she had portrayed was  quickly replaced with her usual whiskey-strong wit. She sat bolt  upright, eyes squinting into a glare, as she swatted Peter's hand away  from her.

 "What the hell do you think you're doing? Get out!"  she commanded, reaching for her sword. Peter lunged forward to grip her  wrist in an effort to stop her, calling her name to capture her  attention. When he finally did, she noticed a sadness in his eyes that  immediately silenced her. It was a very distinct breed of sadness, the  kind of that paints someone's face when something has recently gone  very, very wrong. Her heart constricted her throat and her fingers  twitched. "P-Peter...what's happened....?" she asked slowly, quietly.

Peter pursed his lips and tried to muster the strength to tell her,  his blue eyes growing glossy. Sucking in a deep breath, he finally  choked out, "Aslan is dead."