CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"Ellie, dear, are you sure you want to do this?" Mrs. Beaver asked, utmost concern painting her face. She wrung her paws together uneasily as she squinted up at her adoptive daughter. The sun sat high in the sky above her, it's rays casting an angelic glow about Eilonwy's hair.

Wiping the sweat from her brow, the huntress gave a definitive nod as she slid her winter boots on over her pants. Peter's camp clothes hung loosely on her skeletal frame but it was nothing a little cinching couldn't fix. After all, she needed the ease of motion. "I have to. I've a duty not only to myself, but to my country" she replied, sheathing her sword at her hip. She launched a wad of spit onto the surface of her helmet and polished it with her shirt hem until it gleamed in the morning light. Somehow, she found herself much more at ease decked out in armor, the feeling providing snippets of much-needed confidence. This was where she belonged, what she was meant to do. Her limbs tingled at the prospect of war. "I don't want you to worry. I'll be fine. Promise" she added in reassurance. A gentle hand skated down to lovingly cup Mrs. Beaver's cheek.

The she-beaver whimpered at her endearing touch, nuzzling the palm of Eilonwy's hand and holding it there a little while longer. "I know you will be, love. You always have had a taste for adrenaline" she jested in soft, bittersweet tones. The pair sat in silence for a moment more before Mrs. Beaver sucked in a deep breath and composed herself. "Well, on with you now. The troops have already left and you mustn't lag too far behind" she said, patting Eilonwy on the knee. The huntress nodded, rising from her seat and sliding her helmet onto her head. With her face completely covered, she was scarcely recognizable. The initial anonymity flooded her with a reassuring sense of security. No one could tell her to return to camp if they didn't know she was fighting in the first place.

Eilonwy bid Mrs. Beaver one last heartfelt goodbye, planting a quick kiss on her forehead, before racing off to the stables. At first glance, Everlast whinnied and stamped her hooves in hesitancy. It wasn't until Eilonwy edged closer, cooing, and rested a hand upon the horse's muzzle that she recognized her faithful rider. Moments later, the pair disappeared toward Beruna.

On the bank of the valley, a sea of Narnian soldiers prepared themselves for combat. Perched upon Everlast's back, Eilonwy waded through the crowd of centaurs and fauns, all of which were male, in search of the perfect place to squeeze in. The presence of so many soldiers was comforting, and not just as a statement of patriotism. Among so many, Eilonwy was just another face in the crowd, another body on the battlefield. No one needed to know who she was or what her intentions were. It was bad enough she was disobeying Peter's orders but now she was to do something even worse: disobey his battle commands.

At the front of the crowd, Peter sat stiffly upon Besnik, overlooking the opposing team. Their snarls and roars echoed across Beruna in a cacophony of horrifying music, sending a shiver down his spine.

"They come, your highness, in numbers and weapons far greater than our own" a gryphon accounted as he landed beside the knight.

"Numbers do not win a battle" Oreius reassured. He paid a minute glance to Peter, eyes stony and willful, as if his gaze alone could instill some confidence in the boy.

"No, but I bet they help..." he replied quietly. His heart pounded against the chain mail pressed to his chest, almost constricting him. His skin crawled as a small voice inside his head contemplated the repercussions of backing out, of simply surrendering and letting Jadis win without a fight. But then he remembered Aslan and the conversation they had upon the cliff. I, too, want my family safe, he spoke, voice deep and magnificent. Narnia's fate rested in Peter's inexperienced hands. Even if he failed, he had to make an attempt. He had grown rather fond of this magical land in the short time he had spent there and additionally, was bestowed with the great responsibility to protect it as his mother assigned him to protect his siblings. The land and all who inhabited it were indebted to Peter as their protector and that truth both terrified and motivated him.