Chapter 3

“So let me get this straight, when I went home last night, you decided to hire a bodyguard?!” Dijkstra asked.

“Uh yes well. After that incident last week, it’s best for me to get a bodyguard. You know. So I can concentrate on working on my music and feel safe at the same time?” Jaskier suggested, fidgeting with his hands. God, he felt really nervous. Not only was he dealing with his manager right now, he also had to interview a few people. Today’s definitely quite a handful, he chuckled to himself.

Dijkstra sighed, “Seriously Julian. One of these days, I swear…. You’re lucky that you’re talented. Or else I’d tell ya to find a new manager.”

Dijkstra was one of the very few, who still called him Julian.

It was funny how he came to be called Jaskier, it was because of…… someone. That someone also happened to walk out of his life. The only good that came out of it was that same someone was his source of inspiration for his songs.

“Gee thanks, I guess.” Jaskier said sheepishly.

“Yeah. Whatever. But if you pull a stunt like that again, then I’ll quit.”

Jaskier sniggered, “No you won’t. You said it yourself, I’m too talented. Your words, not mine.”

With that said, Dijkstra glared at Jaskier before leaving the studio, or the lounge room that is.

Jaskier made sure that he left, so he waited a few minutes. He, then, plopped down on his red sofa, lying down on his stomach and opened his laptop.

He checked his emails, he clicked the one from the agency, it said that only one was interested in the job. Jaskier sighed, guess it won’t be difficult to hire a bodyguard if that person’s any good that is.

He wrote the agency back, that the time of the interview remains the same. 1 o’clock sharp. After sending the message, he got a text from Priscilla.

Jaskier smiled at the message she sent him.

‘Hey u ok?’

‘Kinda. Dijkstra just lectured me.’ He hit send. He really wanted to talk to someone right now. Even though it was through texting, there was some comfort to it. But it wasn’t enough.

‘Figures… but do u wanna go thru with the whole bodyguard thing?’

‘Yeah. After the whole letter incident, hell yes.’ Jaskier gulped as he remembered the incident. That really did a number on him.

‘Good. U have 2 be careful Jas…. It’s dangerous in the music biz.’

Jaskier snorted at her last reply. ‘Wbu tho? Ur in the same biz as me?’

‘Hahaha tru…. But I’m not the one who says offensive stuff 2 people’

Jaskier furrowed his brows together. ‘Hey! For the record…. I didn’t kno that it’d be offensive’

‘Oh Jas… I <3 U sweetie but you just don’t know when to cross the line. No offense’

Jaskier frowned, the thing about Priscilla was, that she’d say the truth, no matter how hurtful it was. She was actually a good person, heavenly, in fact. He met her a few years ago, when he needed one more song for his album. He had the song but it was missing an ingredient. And that was how Priscilla came into the picture, she was a newcomer with her hit single ‘The Wolven Song’. Luckily, they were both in the same studio that day. He asked her to sing with him in his last song for the album. Thank God, it didn’t take much convincing, that girl was an angel and helped him out and the rest was history.

‘None taken… Look I think I’m gonna log out now…. Since there’s this interview later.’

‘Jas.. I’m sorry. Do u want me to come over and accompany u with the interview?’

‘Cilla, don’t worry about me. Don’t u have to record a new song later?’

‘U sure? The song can wait u kno..’

Jaskier felt a slight smile tug on his lips. ‘Yea. I’m sure. Thx for the offer Cilla.’

‘Anytime Jas... But if u wanna talk.. Lemme kno'

'Thx Cilla. C u'

‘U 2 Jas’

Jaskier logged out and turned off his laptop. The only thing that could probably cheer him up right now, would be strumming on his guitar. But he just couldn’t get off the sofa. So he sat up and stared at the ceiling. It was… weird, that he stared at the ceiling. He observed it, it was white, no, not white, it was eggshell. It had hanging lamps with warm light. Okay this was getting ridiculous, Jaskier claimed.

Why was that everything he did was just so…. Obnoxious? What the hell was he doing with his life? Becoming a singer had always been his dream, but now that achieved that, then why did he feel that something was missing? Sure he was surrounded by great people, such as Priscilla(and the others he couldn't name right now), but it wasn’t the same. It could never be what he and-

“Jaskier?” a familiar voice brought him back to reality, causing him to immediately to blink the tears away.

He turned to the door to see-

“Geralt.” He whispered.