D Day

6 weeks later the final court date rolled around.. It had been the most frustrating time of my life! When I know something needs to be done I get on it straight away. Everything in this situation though was out of my control.

I had tried to keep on top of my lawyer as to his progress, but, well, let’s just say lawyers are not the most trustworthy or reliable people. In my honest opinion I do not think he actually actioned any of the things he said he would do until the week before.. In other words he just forgot about me for the previous 5 weeks. He didn’t get back to me until the night before my hearing.

According to him, the police officer had been avoiding him mostly. When they did manage to get together they talked over the statement and the facts, they went to the actual crash site, and he pleaded his case with all the errors that had been found. There was good news and bad news. The good news was one of the charges had been dropped. Needless to say, at this news I was stoked! The bad news however though, was that it wasn’t the Criminal Act Charge that had been managed to be dropped. It was the Traffic. In other words, yes the severity of the consequences would be less as it was now only one charge I was up for, but the more serious charge still remained. It fell under the criminal act which meant unless it got dropped in court (not likely considering I had admitted to it) I was facing a criminal record. I was also definitely not eligible for a E license to get me to and from work.

I had the same waiting frustration with my 2 friends writing character references for me. I had asked them straight away, but knowing their work and family commitments and that they were doing me a massive favour I hadn’t wanted to harass them. I didn’t end up getting one until 5 days before the hearing; and the other the morning of!

I had them though, and I had one less charge, so that’s what I had facing my final court date. My lawyer said we could really push it to get both charges dropped but that would mean another adjournment, more money, time and frustration. I said no. I’d take whatever it was coming at me.

I got to court on time. My case was being seen in one of the private courtrooms so I nervously waited outside. Meanwhile in that time, in true me style I made friends with every other person (business men and lawyers included!) in that waiting room! I told them everything and although they obviously didn’t condone it, they could see I knew what I had done and was willing to face it. They supported me and had my back right up until I was called.

I walked in and took my position. Everything was stated, references were read and then the judge directly spoke to me. He asked me for my license, which I handed over. He then spoke to me about the seriousness of what had happened, what could have happened more.. The more serious consequences that could have occurred and how they could have affected me… my family… I already knew this! I’d spent weeks crying about that already so yes I’ll admit; I started crying yet again. I just couldn’t help it.

Once he could see he’d lectured me enough he gave his decision. A $1200 fine and 12 month suspension from driving. The last decision though was probably the most relieving. Considering he could see I was obviously very aware of what I had done, I had very good character references from influential friends and I was still so young, I would have a spent conviction. So yes I was guilty of the charge, but I would not have a criminal record. That was a relief!

I walked out of there upset about a whole 12 months without driving freedom (my own fault), knowing I had a hefty fine to pay, but very relieved I didn’t have a criminal record and super happy it was over. This was definitely a life lesson I wouldn’t be forgetting at any time in a hurry!