Chapter 3

Mikey again fell to the cold slick pavement, coughing his lungs out. He was lifted a second time, gentle now. He couldn't tell who it was, but he felt safe. Mikey staggered, leaning heavily on the person, urging his legs to keep moving so he wouldn't be a dead weight. But his efforts were pointless, his legs felt like bricks of concrete, confining him to the ground, and with every step, walking became harder and harder. The person didn't seem to mind, and strangely, Mikey was overly relieved at that thought. As they neared the corner of the building, someone else grabbed him. Mikey pulled free, still feeling quite disoriented and confused. He sank to his knees clutching his head gingerly, trying to keep a grip on something. He was trying to catch his breath, but could only hold back the itching in his throat for a second before bursting into another fit of coughing. He tried to stand but his mind reeled back and he fell, nearly letting himself be consumed completely by darkness. 
"Hamato?"
He couldn't pinpoint the voice. It wasn't his brother's, it wasn't Shini or his father. Then it hit him, like a bucket of ice water. That was Bradford's voice. But why would he be helping him? Why did his voice sound so concerned?
Mikey opened his eyes, not even realizing they'd closed in the first place. As his vision cleared, he looked up to see several faces looking down at him.
"Oh God, I thought I killed you..." Bradford's voice was shaking and clouded with an emotion Mikey couldn't quite grasp.
"Heh, well I'm- I'm not dead yet," Mikey joked in a raspy stutter.
"I thought you wanted me dead." Mikey continued after a second, gaining back his regular voice.
"No, we wanted to get to your brothers. This got out of hand," A voice Mikey didn't recognize snapped.
"This was a waste of time."
Slowly, everybody began to leave until only Bradford and Xever were left there with Mikey.
"How were your parents when they found out?" Xever asked, trying to break the uncomfortable silence.
"About the fight I mean."
"Well, my dad forbid me to leave the house until my suspension is lifted."
Xever raised an eyebrow.
"I snuck out my window."
Xever snorted. "That sounds like someone I know."
Bradford looked over with a scowl. "That was a long time ago."
"Sure..."
Mikey wasn't really listening, he was terrified about what would happen when his dad and brothers found out about all this. He was so stupid. He looked down so the older guys couldn't see the frustrated tears welling up in his eyes. They were tough, he didn't want them to see him as weak. 
"You should call someone to pick you up, we can stay till someone comes if you want," Bradford offered awkwardly.
Mikey didn't answer. The thought of his brothers threw Mikey over the edge, he couldn't even stop the sobs that erupted from his throat as hot tears bubbled down his face. He tried to wipe them furiously, feeling like a child. He pulled out his phone which was now severely cracked and texted Raph. Mikey knew Raph was gonna get angry, but if he didn't text him first, it'd be even worse. Apparently, Bradford and Xever had noticed because they were dead silent now, just adding to the awful dread creeping up through Mikey's body.
A few minutes later, his dad's silver Jeep pulled up on the opposite side of the street and his three brothers jumped out frantically.
"Mikey! Oh, God."
Mikey nearly toppled over as he was tackled into his older brother's strong embrace.
"Mikey, Jesus, don't you dare text me something like that ever again!" Raph shouted.
Mikey smirked, remembering the overly-dramatic text he'd sent. Apparently, Mikey had no concern for his own safety.
Raph raised his hand, about to slap him upside the head. Mikey squeezed his eyes shut, but the blow never came. He tentatively opened one eye, then the other, Raph's hand one centimeter from his head, with Leo holding it back. Leo's eyes were wide and his face bent into his typical worried big brother expression.
"Mikey, you're bleeding."
"I- I am?" Mikey questioned, reaching up to touch the place it hurt most on his head, and sure enough, his hand came into contact with something warm and sticky.
"Oh," he said dumbly.
Leo looked up from his brother, finally noticing the two others that were standing behind Mikey.
Leo carefully pushed Mikey towards Raph as he came face to face with Bradford and Xever.
"What happened?" His tone was serious, almost threatening.
"We started a fight, and it went too far, " Bradford admitted. 
Leo punched him. Hard. Mikey didn't stop him, Bradford so deserved that, but when Leo grabbed Bradford by the shoulders with a ruthless look, Mikey pulled away from Raph.
"Leo, calm down!"
Leo sighed, pushing back his rage for Mikey's sake.
Donnie pat Mikey's back. "We should get you home."
Ignoring his brother, Mikey looked up hoping to see the stars, but there were no stars in the sky, not even the moon showed through the thick grey clouds. He turned his head to the side dismissively. It was foggy. He was tempted to state the obvious but knew his brothers would think it was dumb. He was too 'absent-minded' they said, 'didn't think'. They were always on his back about it, they'd especially be right now. 
"Mikey."
Mikey looked back down at Donnie. 
"What?" 
"Do you want to go home now?"
Mikey looked up at the sky again.
"No."
"I don't."
"Mikey, we gotta go home, " Leo insisted.
Mikey sighed in resignation. "I know."
As Mikey began to make his way towards the car, he thought more about Shini. She never had gotten help, she'd left him for dead. He tried to reason with himself, thinking that maybe she'd been too scared, but he couldn't and it hurt.
"Don't tell dad," Mikey pleaded as he followed his brothers.
Raph laughed dryly. "You lucky little-"
"Raph language!" 
"You didn't know what I was gonna say!" Raph scowled.
Leo gave him a glare. "No, I'm pretty sure I did."
"No, I'm pretty sure ya didn't!"
Mikey and Donnie exchanged glances as they began to laugh. "Don't worry Mike, we won't tell. For now."
"For now?!"