Chapter 4: Off to chemo Tom

My jaw dropped at him and I just laughed at him. I wasn’t sure whether he was being serious or not and didn’t get the chance to ask. A nurse came bustling in and looked shocked when she saw two of us in the bed.

“Sorry, but you’re not supposed to be-,” she said hustling me out of the bed.

“No, no, I’m not a patient, I’m Tom’s friend,” I said quickly before she shoved me out the door.

“Is this true, Mr Linson?” the nurse asked, turning to frown at Tom.

“Yeah, we met yesterday and she came back, don’t worry Beth, she’s lovely,” Tom called from his place on the bed.

Beth looked me up and down smiled and let me walk back in. I sat on the edge of Tom’s bed and noticed the wheelchair by the end of his bed. I watched as she helped Tom out of his bed and into the wheelchair.

“Beth has been here since the start Letty, she is a good friend,” Tom said as he fiddled in his chair.

“Don’t worry Lou,” I said smiling at him and taking his hand, “I’m here for you babe.”

Tom looked at me and seemed less stressed. I held his hand as Beth pushed him to where he was going to have his session. He was wheeled over to a comfortable looking chair. Beth helped Tom into the chair and put a few needles in his arms from the IV drips surrounding the chair. I smiled at him and sat in the plastic chair beside his.

“Soo, my session goes for two hours, what do you want to do?” Tom asked me. I looked at him and slung my legs across his.

“Well, I thought maybe I could draw you,” I said shyly. I looked down at my lap.

“Sure,” he replied, I looked up to see him grinning, “It would be pretty cool.”

“Ok, well I need to take a picture of you first, I draw better that way,” I explained as I pulled out my Polaroid camera. Louis nodded his head and smiled at the camera. I shook my head at him and twisted my mouth in thought.

“Why’d the mushroom go to the party?” I asked. Tom frowned at me, knowing I hadn’t snapped the picture yet. I raised my eyebrows at him, egging him on to answer.

“Because he was a fungi!” he yelled questioningly. I nodded my head at him smiling.

“So why did the fungi leave the party?” I asked him. I smiled at him. I wanted a good picture, something natural, not something posed.

He shrugged at me in response, “Because there wasn’t mushroom!”

He burst in to laughter at my stupid joke and I quickly snapped the picture of him laughing. I smiled at him and waited for the picture to become clear.

I pulled a roller tray in front of me and dug around in my bag for my pencils. I had everything set up around me and began to draw Tom. It took me about half an hour to complete my drawing, colour and all, it was especially hard because my stupid cast kept getting in the way. The whole time I had been drawing Tom watched my every move. I signed my name and stretched, shoving the picture towards Tom.

Tom took the picture and looked at it in interest. I had done a huge A3 sketch and it looked… ok I guess.

“This is fantastic!” Tom squealed placing the picture back on the tray. I rolled my eyes at him.

“Yeah, totally Lou Boo!” I grumbled at him, scowling.

“It’s fantastic, love!” he squealed at me. I looked up at him and gave him a death stare.

“Shut up would ya? It’s crap, but if you like it so much you may keep it,” I grumbled to him. I wasn’t the artist my mother was, nor the photographer my father was. I could do a little bit of both but still.

Tom grinned at me and folded the picture into quarters. I shook my head at him, grinning slightly. He was such a strange person, an odd, interesting, different person and it was amazing to know him. He had managed to make me laugh so hard my ribs hurt, none of my friends could do that!! He was such a great person with a shining personality.

“Soooo, what now? I’m bored,” Tom frowned from his chair. I laughed at his face, it was cute and funny!!

“I thought we could maybe do some singing?” I asked, pulling my iPod out of my bag.

“Like karaoke?” he queried with a small frown.

I nodded and smiled, “Exactly but without microphones and the words!”

I unlocked my iPod and put it on shuffle. The song that came on was ‘One Thing’ by One Direction. I hadn’t listened to it in a while and when neither of us began to sing I sat back in my seat closed my eyes. Towards the end of the song I heard sniffling. I opened my eyes to see Tom crying his poor little eyes out. I quickly turned it off.

“Lou Boo, what’ wrong?” I asked, worried.

“It’s just, I have a secret Letty, and I think it’s about time I told you the truth,” he took a deep breath, “I’m really-,”