Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Optimus had barely managed a few Earth hours of rest. He had been kept up nearly the whole night listening to Megatron snarling and whining in personal torment during his recharge. Begging for a new day to begin, Optimus got up and went to the desk by the window, starting to plan a proposal for a new sector of the city.

Megatron came back online soon after Optimus had risen from his place at the window seat. Making no sound, the mech watched Optimus with a strong emotion of jealousy. He had no idea he had sent that across the forcebond and barred his sharp dentas when Optimus turned to look at him.

"Good morning, Megatron."

Megatron ignored him entirely, rolling over so he faced the opposite wall. Optimus rolled his optics and went back to work, knowing Megatron would remain surly until he felt otherwise.

Megatron tensed when there was a knock on the door, optics locked on the entrance. When the door pushed open to reveal the medic, Megatron growled but stayed where he was. So far the older mech had proven he was dangerous if only for the stasis inducing weapon he had now.

"Morning, Optimus. I have word from Arcee that everything it going well. She and Bulkhead and making great progress in the reconstruction of the tombs."

Optimus smiled warmly, once again making Megatron seethe with jealousy and even a hint of pain. How could Optimus be so happy? How could Optimus be loved by every mech he met and yet Megatron himself had never been loved by a single mech in his life? It hurt. Despite how much he hated himself for feeling the weak emotion, he couldn't help it. He had unknowingly sent the message of pain across the bond, alerting Optimus to his mate's displeasure.

~Is something wrong?~ Optimus thought, sending it across the bond.

"Nothing is wrong, stupid glitch!" Megatron snapped out loud, shutting off the bond as best he could. Although he couldn't entirely block himself off, he could try.

"You really insist on having him in your room, Optimus? It's like having your own personal demon!" Ratchet said, wanting to throw Megatron back into a prison cell as soon as possible...or in front of a shooting squadron. Either one.

"He is getting better. It will take time, Ratchet." Optimus said softly, seeing that Megatron was preening his wounded arm. "You should repair him. I do feel guilty for leaving him with such an injury."

"Are you mad?! Optimus, he will rip me apart if I get near him!" Ratchet nearly shouted, the fear in his voice making Megatron smirk.

"Are you scared of me, little Autobot?" Megatron chuckled, starting to rise from the berth like a dangerous animal.

"Please, no fighting." Optimus begged, already knowing that his wish was not going to be granted.

A second later the medic and the warlord were locked in a nasty little scrap, Megatron trying to claw into Ratchet's spark chamber while Ratchet drove his blade into Megatron's already wounded arm. The silver mech made a nasty snarl of pain and fought harder, just about to get a fatal wound to Ratchet's chest when he was picked up by the nape of his neck.

"Release me! I order you!" Megatron demanded, realizing he couldn't move whatsoever. So the clever little Prime remembered where his weak spot was. 'Oh, what a grand day this will be.' he thought sarcastically as he was carried like a kitten back to the berth.

"I said there will be no fighting in this room! Ratchet, you are just as guilty as he is!" Optimus scolded after he set Megatron down, a strong servo still on his neck to keep him from causing trouble.

"I was merely defending myself from that monster!"

"You aren't exactly am angel, either, medic! Be glad he is holding me here because I would have taken great pleasure in snuffing your pathetic spark!"

"I-"

"That will be all, Ratchet." Optimus said, tone hinting it was time for the medic to leave. Ratchet nodded and padded out of the room, the Prime only releasing Megatron once the door was shut tightly.

"Unhand me this instant! I will not have a filthy servo of a Prime on me!" Megatron snapped as he was freed from the other mech's hold.

"You two will never get along, will you?" Optimus chuckled a little, his cheery mood returning. Megatron snorted and rolled over onto his other side, starting to work on his wounded arm again.

"I believe you know my dislike for medics quite well, Optimus." the silver mech returned, wincing when a sharp claw scraped a half healed part of his canon. New energon blood started to flow from the cut as he cursed softly, trying to stop the bleeding.

"Just because the newly trained mech didn't get it entirely right, you cannot hate all mechs and femmes in that profession." Optimus laughed a little, pulling up the memory file of when they had been on the battlefield together and Megatron had his first incident with a new field medic.

"You will not tell me what I can and cannot do. I hate them all." Megatron insisted, fussing over his arm still.

"May I see it?"

There was a moment of silence between them, Megatron deciding whether or not he would allow the Prime to examine his hurt. Finally deciding it would only help him if he were repaired, he hesitantly offered the mangled arm which was now covered in dried energon and dust.

'Optimus is too kind for his own good. He will repair me when he sees the damage and when his back is turned, I shall kill him and relieve myself of this imprisonment!' Megatron thought while Optimus came over to see the damage.

Optimus reached out and took Megatron's arm in his servos, intelligent blue optics narrowing with concern when he saw it was already infected with rust. Megatron, still scheming, hadn't thought for a moment the Prime would actually touch him. Hissing nastily he yanked his arm back and curled up, spiked shoulders tensed.

"Never touch me again, Optimus!" he snarled, pointed dentas showing in a snarl.

"The wound is infected, Megatron. Please allow me to do something to repair it. I was the one who shot you, after all."

"If you are so keen on doting over your unwilling pet, you may clean it for me." Megatron sneered, once again rolling over so his back was to Optimus.

Megatron heard Optimus move away and was right back trying to claw out the rust that was indeed infecting the wound. It was such a horrible feeling when one had rust. It was like a burning itch that couldn't be quelled and it took a long while to recover from. Of course he would be cursed to have such an ailment.

Megatron didn't notice the approach of the other mech and was caught by surprise when he servo was around the nape of his neck yet again, gently yet firmly holding the cables so he went limp. A flash of fear overcast with anger shot across the bond and Optimus felt his spark ache for his partner.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Megatron demanded as Optimus took his injured arm and began to clean the wound with a damp cloth.

The silver mech hissed when whatever liquid was used to dampen the cloth got into the open cut. Optimus sent a sense of reassurance through their bond, silently telling his bondmate all was well. To Optimus's great shock, Megatron seemed to relax for a few moments under his unlikely partner's tender care. There still seemed to be some trust between the two that had never fully eroded over centuries of battle. For a moment there was a shimmer of hope that the silver mech would change-that even he could be brought back from his shelter of darkness and lies.

'It will take time, but in the end he will be his old self. I believe he is far stronger than anyone believes.'