Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Optimus had no idea he had recharged longer than he should have until his partner started fussing around at his desk. Blue optics flared back online as their owner looked blearily over at Megatron. The silver mech made a little grunt of a greeting, holding up a data pad.

"You get far too many demands of this Senate, Optimus. How you deal with them all is beyond me." he said, having been working since he woke on all of Optimus's incoming flood of proposals and demands.

"What are you doing with my work? Megatron, they will know it is not me." Optimus yelped, leaping off of the berth and rushing over to take the data pad back. Megatron scoffed and leaned back in the chair.

"I know you better than you would like to believe, Optimus." he chuckled darkly, watching as the Prime read over all the work Megatron had helped him with. It amazingly sounded just like him.

"You did all this for me?" Optimus asked, truly shocked. Megatron shrugged his massive shoulders and got out of the chair.

"What are mates for?" he asked sarcastically, his somewhat surly mood back. Optimus took a seat, not realizing he was very late for work that day.

"When I get done with work today, I think we should go for a walk. I want to show you the city." Optimus said softly, looking out across Cybertron. He frowned when he saw how bright it was outside and turned to Megatron. "Did you also sign me out of work for a day?"

"Oh, that wasn't my doing. It was most likely due to your lovely medic. He came in to stare at us when we were recharging. I didn't want to wake you, so I stayed where I was and refrained from ripping him apart." the former warlord said darkly, curling up on the window seat like a giant cat. "You should be thanking me."

"Why would you let me recharge so late?! I have duties I must attend to!" Optimus groaned, heading for the door.

"All that needed to be done is done. I just completed it for you, Optimus Prime." Megatron said, shuttering his blazing red optics and resting. After all, what else was there to do?

Optimus smiled warmly, relaxing for once in a long while. He had a day off from his time consuming and helmache inducing work. Now he could show his mate the newly built Cybertron and all it had to offer! He strode over and hauled Megatron to his pedes, the other mech growling nastily in refusal to being handled.

"We are going to see Cybertron."

"Optimus, you know as well as I that the moment I step out of this cage I will be attacked. They know me for what I really am-a killer. You go tend to your glorious city and I will remain here." Megatron snapped, resisting the hold on his arms.

"No one will do anything if you are with me. I promise." Optimus said soothingly. "Will you trust me?"

"This isn't about how much I trust you! This is about how much everyone else hates me! Optimus, I do not belong in this new world you have created! I never was meant to see this!" the former warlord snarled, the emotions in his voice a mix of hurt and anger.

"You must show them you changed. That is all they need to see." Optimus purred, taking Megatron's servo in his. "Starscream and Knock Out have already adjusted." he offered, hoping that would help.

Megatron laughed, rolling his optics. "Oh? And you think I am anything like them? Knock Out was weak to begin with! As for Starscream...he sides with whomever gives him what he desires. So far that side is yours. Until he grows bored or does not get what he wants, he will remain loyal to your cause and do what he must to fit in."

"Megatron, they have changed a great deal and so have you."

"If you stop trying to convince me, I will follow you like the pet you have turned me into. If this is what you need to be more of a Prime, I will suffer to make you more loved. That is my duty." the silver mech growled, shrugging off his mate's servos.

"Megatron..."

"We may talk later if you wish. Now we must see the city. Or are you stepping back on your word?"

Optimus shook his helm and walked over to where Megatron now stood in front of the door, opening it and stepping out into the well lit hallway. He glanced back and saw Megatron following obediently, faceplate stern.

Optimus was thankful they didn't meet up with any mechs or femmes on the way down to the ground floor. He could tell his partner was terribly nervous and tense, the emotions crossing their bond like a flood. At one point Megatron even came close enough to Optimus to brush against him for some form of comfort.

"Optimus, this is a terrible idea." Megatron growled when the huge door of the apartment opened to reveal the busy street of Cybertron.

"You will be fine, Megatron." Optimus assured. "As long as you keep your temper, no one will be able to do anything about you being out of the apartment."

"Hold my temper? Primus, you are a fool, Optimus."

Optimus only smiled and motioned for Megatron to follow. The silver mech stepped out of the apartment and squinted for a moment in the glare of Cybertron's second sun. So far there were no screams of horror or panicking...maybe he would somehow go unnoticed?

"It is just as I remember." he said, a hint of a smile playing on his faceplate as he came to stand beside Optimus. "Perhaps you have done the impossible and brought us back to our Golden Age after all."

"Come along, I have more to show you."

Megatron followed more eagerly this time, keeping his helm slightly bowed so less would recognize him. When he was able, he would take in all the new buildings and the old ones that had been restored to their former glory with intelligent optics. How much he wanted to roam the new world alone...how much he wished it could have been his world...

"Are you alright, Megatron?" Optimus asked, glancing over his shoulder when he saw the distant look in his bondmate's optics. Megatron nodded briskly.

"Yes, of course I am alright. Why wouldn't I be?"

Optimus let it go and brought Megatron out into the less populated countryside of Cybertron, a place they had trained together so many centuries ago. Megatron smiled, knowing Optimus wouldn't see since he was in the lead. It brought back so many pleasant memories...

Before he could help himself, he closed the distance between himself and Optimus and nuzzled his bondmate's cheek with his own, a deep purring growl emanating from deep within his chest. He made a somewhat startled grunt when he was pulled into a hug and squeezed gently enough for it to be affectionate but not painful. For a moment they stood silently together, taking comfort in the fact they both wanted to return to what they once had.

"You really do believe we can return to our past selves, don't you." Megatron stated, pulling back enough to watch Optimus's facial expressions. The Prime nodded and tenderly ran a servo down Megatron's powerful back.

"Without hope we are nothing, old friend." he murmured, releasing Megatron and sitting down on the hill overlooking the city. "Care to join me?"

Megatron smirked and sat down beside his partner, playing along only because he didn't want to anger the Prime. That was what he was trying to convince himself, but it was not exactly an easy lie to believe when he felt so much love across their bond. It was not one sided, either. They passed a good Earth hour together on the hill in silence until Megatron spoke.

"Do you know how much I hate to admit that I love you?" he said softly, leaning against his mate with a defeated sigh. Optimus wrapped an arm around his waist and smiled warmly.

"I love you, too."

"Be pleased to know that is the first time I have heard anyone say such a thing to me." Megatron admitted quietly, leaning closer so he could hesitantly kiss his partner's cheek. "I thank you for it."

Optimus took Megatron's helm and held him close as he pressed a swift yet tender kiss to his lips, Megatron's optics huge in shock as Optimus pulled back with a huge grin. He stood and offered Megatron a servo, which was amazingly taken without complaint. They said nothing as they returned to the apartment, a slight smile on each of their lips.