Promise

Jay Halstead x female!reader

Warnings: angsty, curse words, mean personality

Requested by: @fofisstilinski

"Everyone meet Y/N Y/L/N. She'll be working with us starting today. Halstead, you'll be partners with her." Hank Voight said, introducing you to the Intelligence Unit. That was a six months ago.

At first you understood why Jay Halstead was warry of you and didn't trust you because you we new and technically a rookie at being a detective but grew up in a military family. Dad is a general working with the President and your four older brothers were also serving the country, the oldest Dave is a marine, the second eldest, Johnny is in the air force, the third is part of the coast guard and the fourth is a navy seal. All of them still on active duty. You wanted to stay close to home so you joined the police academy, graduated top of your class.

You were used to how guys acted since you've lived and breathed on how your brothers acted while growing up. But you didn't understand Jay Halstead. Sure, he is good looking and you liked the guy more than a partner but he didn't. He ignored you majority of the time and would only acknowledge you when needed. It frustrated you and would usually find yourself in Antonio's boxing gym beating up a bag or two just to let out your frustrations on your partner.

In the past months, you've tried your best to get on Jay's good side but whatever you did seemed to just make everything worse. When Jay accidentally shot a little girl by accident at one of your raids, you tried to be there for him. Well, as much as he had allowed you to be there for him. You would secretly bring coffee and food for him. You would ask his brother to do random shit for you because you knew that Jay wouldn't accept anything from you. When Jay needed to take a few days, you covered his shifts and did his paperwork for him. Nothing just seemed to work so your just tried to deal with what you were given. It was enough for you to sit quietly on the passenger side whenever you two needed to go somewhere, even if sometimes the silence could get a bit much so you would turn the radio on and set the volume on low. It was  enough that when the team would raid a place and you both were always partnered together, that he got your back multiple times. Just that after the raids, Jay would be back to ignoring you.

The Unit was currently working on a case, you all were back to square one and needed leads so Voight ordered all of you to go talk to your CIs. You had gone with Jay to some dingy diner and his CI met you two there. You excused yourself to use the restroom but when you came back, he and the CI were gone. The car was also gone. Pissed off, you just decided to go meet your CI by yourself. It was a good thing that your CI had a lead. You needed to check if his info was legit so you called Jay but he didn't answer so you went by yourself. You checked the info of your CI and found your main suspect at the place your CI told you about.

"Sarge, I found our main suspect. I need backup. He and a couple of other guys are currently loading up a truck with a shit load of drugs." You said and Voight sighed on the other side of the line as he watched Jay Halstead walk into the squad room.

Voight mentioned your location to the team and they all stood up to leave. "Halstead, you're with me." Jay got in Voight's SUV and went on their way to his partner's location who he left somewhere. "Do you have a problem with Y/N Y/L/N?" Voight asked him and he sighed. "No, I don't have a problem with her. Its just....she reminds me a bit of Erin..." He admitted and Voight sighed. When Erin left, Voight knew that Jay took it the hardest considering that they were in a relationship with each other. "Well, Y/N Y/L/N, is not Erin. Actually, the one similarity they both have is that they're both great at their jobs and that they both can take care of themselves." Voight told. Jay just nodded. He knew he needed to make things better with you. "Anyways, fix whatever issues you have." Voight told Jay before getting out of the SUV. Jay followed a moment later and went up to where you were on standby.