THIRTEEN...

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
"CIGARETTES!"

wednesday came quicker than eleanor could have expected, the gloomy clouds peeking out from the linen curtains of her bedroom windows. she sighed as her eyes adjusted to the bedroom around her, the one in her aunt becky's home she had still not grown fully accustomed to.

although the soft sheets of her comforter in her new home were much more soothing than the tattered ones she had grown up with, a part of her couldn't help but wonder how her mother was doing.

the night before, becky had told her over dinner that chief hopper had called. she explained that the chief told her that terry was currently locked up in a holding cell, still awaiting a sentencing.

the thought of having to face her birth mother again terrified el beyond belief, so much so that she felt like she was growing to throw up the greasy takeout pizza her and becky were currently eating.

becky was quick to reassure el that she wouldn't be forced to see her mother if she didn't want to, which only managed to settle the sickening feeling churning in her stomach for a few minutes.

thankfully, hopper had also mentioned that the court hearing wouldn't take place for another few months. a wave of relief ran through el's mind as becky discussed the chief's words with her. after all, el was starting high school the next day. the last thing she wanted was for sensitive information to spread like a wildfire throughout the small suburban town.

but el knew she shouldn't be focusing on her mother right now, instead, her eyes drifted to the dusty alarm clock that sat on her nightstand. she groaned as it continued to ring loudly, piercing her ears as she whacked her hand against it in an attempt to get the nuisance to stop.

as the static noise began to fade, el drew in a deep breath. she rubbed her eyes with both of her hands, her lengthy eyelashes tickling against her palms as she stretched her limbs.

"good, you're up! i have some eggos waiting for you in the kitchen. now get dressed, you don't want to be late for your first day!" becky exclaimed as she knocked on her niece's door with a warm smile, which was a nice contrast to the ill-lit weather. el nodded in return, stretching her arms over her head.

as el glanced down at the fitted cream sweater matched with acid-washed jeans she had bought on her trip to the mall with max, she felt nervousness bubbling in her stomach.

was it normal to be this nervous to go to high school for the first time?

as the brunette's sneakers trudged against the concrete leading into hawkins high, the anxiousness that was simmering in her stomach that morning was intensifying greatly with each stride. her best friend was chatting her ear off, talking loudly with anticipation.

"tiny, i don't think you understand. everyone is going to be kissing your ass! you better not forget about me once stacey and jennifer follow you around like lost dogs." max exclaimed, el shaking her head quickly.

"how could i forget about you? you've been my best friend since i was born!" el giggled, playing with the sleeves of her sweater.

"oh wait! before i forget, make sure you don't talk to mike and the party. you'll lose your new found popularity in seconds." max chuckled, readjusting the straps of her backpack.

"but i like talking to them, they're my friends." el frowned with furrowed eyebrows. she fiddled her fingers as her and max made their way through the door of the school, eyes already landing on the new girl.