juxtaposition

Friday, 11:26 pm

Romeo's beginning of Summer party was very well known, I'd even go as far as to say famous, for being the place where unlikeliest of couples get together. It was fitting considering his name was Romeo.

Race and I, according to everyone else, were the exact opposite of an unlikely couple. Our classmates weren't the only ones that thought that. Even my own mother assumed one day we would get married. She called it fate, I called it heteronormativity. Yet, there I was, on the counter in Romeo's kitchen, with Race's mouth on my neck.

It shouldn't have been me. It wasn't like there was a shortage of girls, or boys for that matter, that would be willing to kiss him. Our friend group was practically a quarter of the school.

It should've been Kayla. The new girl with shiny hair and a good sense of humor. I had no doubt she'd be apart of our small clan soon. Earlier that week I had overheard Race talking about how all he'd wanted was summer fling. If that was true he wouldn't have picked someone he's known all his life.

Which begs the question, did Race really want a no strings attached relationship?

It would've been Kayla. Except for I was the one left with purple staining my neck and the ghost of his hands on my waist.

These feelings were bittersweet. Which was confusing. Race has been my best friend before I even knew what a best friend was. I shouldn't feel anything. It shouldn't burn when he touches me. I should know by now that burning is dangerous. But how can something simultaneously feel so good but be so bad for me. It was a juxtaposition of epic proportions. Similar to Race actually.

Race, my Race. Seemingly so angelic, but as soon as you spend 20 minutes with him it's obvious he could make even the mightiest of gods blush. Sometimes I thought I knew him better than I knew myself. I had seen him at his high points, (both literally and figuratively) and his low points. This was definitely a high point.

Friday 10:30pm

"Come on Y/n, we're already half an hour late." Katherine urged.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Whatever happened to being fashionably late?" I whispered the last part to myself in fear of a lecture from Katherine. She was probably the most punctual person I'd ever met. I walked behind Katherine into the backyard, and I could already hear the newest Shawn Mendes song playing. I searched for a familiar face, and was met with about ten of them. The innermost circle of our friend group had formed a clump in the middle of the dance floor. Including but not limited to, Jack who quickly spun Katherine over to him, Albert who was doing some sort of salsa dancing, and Race.

My Race. He pulled me over to him with a goofy smile on his face.

"If I request Ice Ice Baby will you sing it with me?" He whispered in my ear.

"Of course."

His breath was warm. Goosebumps rose on my arms and a rush of cold air hit me as he walked away.

Soon the telltale bassline was blasting through the speakers and Race was lip-syncing "Yo VIP let's kick it."

About halfway through the song a crowd had started to gather around you. People hopped in and out of the middle, dancing for a couple seconds then going back to the outside. I couldn't seem to pay attention to anything other than the words I was saying and Race. Soon it was just Race. When he looked at me like I was a fallen star, how could I focus on anything else. Soon it came to an end and a much quieter calmer song took its place.