5 School Blues and Mystery Mail

"Miss Banks, do you have a late note?" Asks an annoying, high-pitched female voice coming from the front of the room. I look away from Jasmine and into the direction of the voice. Staring at me with a face of both hatred and disapproval is Mrs Aikenhead. She has short, blonde hair, a long, crooked nose, petite glasses and cold, gray eyes. Today, Mrs Aikenhead is wearing a flowing red dress that matches her lipstick and black cowboy boots, which, in my opinion, make her outfit look even worse than what it already does on her.

"Yes Miss. I have it here." I walk over to her and give her the note. I smile a sickly smile to her before skipping over to my desk, which, fortunately for me, is at the back of the classroom. I begin to unpack my bag, making sure that "Harry Potter" is in close reach.

"I wouldn't be so happy if I were you, Elizabeth." She emphases my name with such dislike it makes me want to punch her in the face. Jasmine smirks. "If I remember correctly, you are late and that's not something to be proud about." I stop and glance at her, and think for a moment.

"Your right Miss, I'm not proud. I'm just trying to have a positive outlook on life." That shuts up Mrs Aikenhead and wipes the smile off Jasmine's face. I continue unpacking my school bag.

"As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted," Mrs Aikenhead can be quite frustrating. "We, Australia is located in the Southern Hemisphere. Does anyone know a country located in the Northern Hemisphere?" Jasmine's hand shoots up faster than the speed of light.

"Miss, I do!" Jasmine's fake, sweet voice rings out. Rolling my eyes I wonder what would happen to me if I called out. I sigh. Jasmine is definitely the teacher's pet.

"There are lots of countries in the Northern Hemisphere. Countries like Italy, Russia, France, Spain and my favourite, The UK. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland." Heaps of "ooohs" and "aaaahs" are heard from my class. I simply roll my eyes. Of corse she knows, she's been to all those countries and counting! Mrs Aikenhead looks pleased. I brace myself for the long day to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~

-- CHAPTER THREE --
The Letters from No One

...Harry was glad school was over, but there were no escaping Dudley's gang, who visited the house every single day. Piers, Dennis, Malcolm and Gordon were all big and stupid, but as Dudley was the biggest and stupidest of the lot, he was the leader. The rest of them were all quite happy to join in Dudley's favourite sport: Harry Hunting.

This was why Harry spent as much time as possible out of the house, wandering and thinking about the end of the holidays, where he could see a tiny ray of hope. When September came he would be going off to secondary school and, for the first time in his life, he wouldn't be with Dudley. Dudley had a place at Uncle Vernon's old school, Smeltings. Piers Polkiss was going there too. Harry, on the other hand, was going to Stonewall High, the local comprehensive. Dudley thought this was very funny.

"They stuff people's heads down the toilet first day at Stonewall," he told Harry. "Want to come upstairs and practise?"

"No thanks," said Harry. "The poor toilet's never had anything as bad as your head down it - it might be sick." Then he ran, before Dudley could work out what he'd said.

I laugh. This book is really good. I tell myself. I must thank Mum for buying it once I get home. So far, Jasmine has only aimed death stares at me, but it's Lunchtime now, so I try to squeeze in as much happiness I can before it all starts.

I sit by myself at lunch, but I don't feel alone. This book is like my new best friend. It's not rude, or selfish, or arrogant or mean, it helps me to be happy when I would be scared out off my boots.