Chapter 12: Gerard's POV

"Okay, Gerard, I think you're about ready to go! I just need your mom to sign some papers!" The nurse told me joyfully.

Great. Thank God. I don't think I could've handled another day in here. And I can't do anything. My good hand is all bandaged up so I can't draw. I hate this. Plus I've been going through withdrawal so I'm always shaky. I need my cigarettes. Smoking is one technique I us to calm down, and right now I'm flipping shit.

I decided to call Frank, because he said we could do something once I was out of this nuthouse.

"Hey, Gee" he answered. "Are you out of prison yet?"

I couldn't help but smile. I've been craving his voice.

Shit, that sounded weird.

"I'm about to be. My mom just needs to sign some stuff and I'm free."

"Cool. Do you wanna hang out? I've got a bunch of movies here if you want to join me. I can't do much because of the fact every time I move, my ribs try to kill me."

"Yeah. Movies sounds good. I'll be over within the hour."

I could hear the smile in his voice. "Great. See you then."

"Bye, darling." I said before hanging up.

My mom walked back in the room a few minutes after that. Her face was emotionless.

Oh shit.

Oh no.

That meant she wasn't happy.

She led me out of the hospital and into the car.

I decided to ask to go to Frank's before anything could happen. "Hey mom... Can I go to-"

She slapped me across the face. Damn, that one stung. "Gerard, you were careless. You were fucking careless. Do you know how much the hospital costs?! Do you know how much that car costs? You are pathetic. You're not going to his house, especially after all this."

Tears pooled in my eyes and spilled over my cheeks. "I- I'm sorry, mom" I choked out.

She ignored me. With a shaky hand, I pulled out my phone and texted Frank:

Sorry. I can't come over.

A few minutes more in the car ride home, my phone buzzed.

Why not?

I wanted to tell him. But... He would worry. I don't want to cause even more pain for him than I already have.

Nothing. Just grounded. I'm sorry.

He didn't reply after that until when we were almost home.

Is everything okay?

No. Everything's not okay. I'm terrified to go home. I don't want to be around my mom. She may do something worse than just a slap...

Yeah. Everything's good. Have a nice afternoon, darling.

I hated that I was lying to him. Hated it. Just... If I told him the truth, he'd get wrapped in my screwed up relationship with my mom. And if she ever hurt him... I would never forgive myself.

We were at home now. I tried not to run inside. Once I was in, though, I ran to my room and closed the door. Mikey wasn't here. Well, that's good, I guess. I don't want him in the way of Mom's wrath. I was shaking so bad. I want her to stay away from me.

I started singing quietly to myself. That's how I calm myself down. It's weird, but it works.

Time passed. I don't know how much. Half an hour? An hour? I don't know.