Chapter 4

I was nervous. As usual.

I stood outside the entrance to the Winter Garden Theater, waiting for them to come and open the doors.

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, trying to tame my jitters and calm myself down. It wasn't working. It never really did. Just a nervous habit, I guess.

"They're not open yet, huh?"

I whipped around, a little surprised by the sudden presence of a voice. Standing behind me was a girl who I didn't recognize. She was a little taller than me and had long, black hair, a beautiful light brown complexion, and a wicked cool nose ring. She smiled at me. I returned the gesture.

"Oh, yeah, no, they haven't unlocked the doors, yet," I replied as she sidled up next to me, peering through the glass curiously.

"So," I said, finally working up the guts to be somewhat of an extrovert, "I take it you're a new ensemble member?"

She nodded. "You?"

"Same. They gave me the part yesterday."

"Me too. It was chaotic."

I nodded. "Oh, absolutely. I could barely hear myself think, with everything else going on."

She chuckled lightly. "Amen to that."

After a few moments of us peeking through the glass in the doors to see if we could spot anybody, she turned to me.

"Oh, I'm Mystaree, by the way."

"I'm (Y/N). Also, that's a really cool name." I gave her a toothy grin. She returned it.

"Thanks."

"Well, you two ladies are here bright and early!"

Mystaree and I abruptly spun around to find a tired-looking, bed-headed, coffee-bearing Alex Brightman.

"Oh my gosh, you're Alex Brightman!" Mystaree gasped, an awe-struck look on her face.

He chuckled lightly. "Yup, that's me!" He then turned to me, more composed than the day before. "It's good to see you again. I'm sorry we weren't able to have a proper introduction, yesterday."

I smiled at the ground nervously. "Oh, it's fine. Yesterday was crazy, so I completely understand."

He laughed. "Yeah, no kidding. Well, as you already know, my name is Alex Brightman. Who might you be?"

"Oh, right, sorry. My name is (Y/N), and this is Mystaree," I introduced, motioning to the girl beside me, who waved shyly.

"Well, it's very nice to meet both of you," he told us, smiling.

Mystaree's phone starting ringing suddenly. She looked down at it, then back up at us. "Sorry, it's my sister, I need to take this."

She walked off a little ways, answering the call.

I shifted awkwardly. It was just me and Alex, now. I rocked back and forth on my heels, feeling anxious and jittery again.

"Where ya from, Twinkle Toes?"

I looked at him, blushing slightly at his nickname for me, and how comfortable he was around me. I shook myself mentally and smiled a shy smile.

"Oh, I'm from Alabama, but I moved here to New York a few years ago," I answered, fidgeting with the drawstrings on my Portland hoodie.

He nodded. "Country girl, huh?" He seemed to think better of that sentence, though. "Sorry, that was probably really rude and stereotypical of me to say."