10: Teamwork

1 month had passed. Edgeworth and 777 lived together until he recovered. His damaged attire had been fixed, and he was ready to go back to the base.

While living with 777, he learned a lot from the informations that 777 had gathered for the last 2 years. He knew the typical tactics of the enemy, learning a lot about fighting from him. Not only about fighting, Edgeworth also felt the warmth of a family with 777 and Mom, and even though he didn't show it, he felt happy living with them. Unfortunately, the time had come for it to end. Edgeworth had to go back to the base. If he waited too long, he would eventually be declared dead by the members. 777 and Edgeworth were walking towards Dusky Bridge to part ways.

"... You're too serious. Let it go, man!" 777 said.

"How?! I could be banned for not reporting!" Edgeworth rejected. They seemed to be in a debate.

"Didn't I tell you, you'll only be declared dead after years of no report!"

"Oh yeah? Give me one reason why someone couldn't report to his guild for a month!"

"... Hmm... Maybe the enemy imprisoned him?"

"What? They'd rather kill him after it, then!"

"Sigh... you're so burdened and too disciplined. How can you enjoy your life if you don't let yourself relax?"

"And you?! Your room is so messy and dirty. I had to clean it everyday! Don't you feel bad for Mom, who have to clean it for you?!"

"W-Where did that come from?? The hygiene in a slum has always been like that! And who told you to clean my room?"

"Sometimes I doubt whether you should be admired or not..."

They debated all the way till they arrived on Dusky Bridge.

"One month was a short time, but I enjoyed it with you nonetheless," 777 said.

"Hmph. I'd enjoy it more if you would clean yourself more..." Edgeworth said.

Both were smiling.

"Alright, I'm off..."

"HOLD IT!!!"

Edgeworth and 77 were startled of the voice that held them. It turned out that the enemy had waited for them and seized them.

"You... who are you?" an enemy who seemed to be the leader faced 777.

"... What do you mean?" 777 stared the leader coldly.

"All this time, we've been watching your movements. You worked together with a member of our enemy to destroy us. But your identity and appearance don't show that you're in the same guild."

"...."

"What do you want from him?"

The situation was tense. They didn't see any path to escape. They were caught.

"What I want from him isn't your business. I'm not from any guild—I can do anything I want, as I desire," 777 said.

"Oh, is it that easy?" The leader pulled out a small thing that looked like a bug that was set on telephones to record a conversation.

"What is the meaning of this?" He showed it to 777.

"You know what that is. A bug."

"Yes. My question is simple. Why is this bug inside of all the communication tools that we use? Is this your work?"

"You talk in your own perspective. Have you checked your enemy's tools?"

The leader was startled. Seemed like he didn't check at all.