Chapter 10

The door closed behind them with a loud BANG. Will, who was trying his best to maintain a carefree and calm outward expression, jumped at the noise.

"Will?" Gilan asked, staring at his friend in mild concern. "Are you alright?"

Will turned his fearful gaze to Gilan. He nodded, swallowing thickly.

Truth be told, Will was nowhere near "alright." He'd had the same thought running through his mind since he was told that he would be returning to Skandia. Before now, he had been able to suppress the thought, and the accompanying fear. But now that they were here, his doubt was creeping in, overtaking his thoughts.

"What is is?" Halt ask, clearly not convinced. Will looked around the small group, taking note of all three pairs of eyes staring at him intensely.

"N-nothing," he tried, but his voice shook, and Will knew there was no use in lying. He took a deep breath. "It's just... the last time I was here, I ended up addicted to warmweed."

All three faces fell in sympathy.

"Yes, but this time is different," Gilan assured his friend. "We're all here with you. And you won't be a slave this time."

Will opened his mouth to reply, but Cassandra spoke first.

"He's not afraid he'll be forced to take warmweed again," she said softly, staring into Will's eyes. "You're afraid you'll do it willingly. Aren't you?"

Will swallowed again, nodding. He wasn't sure what to say, but he was thankful that Cassandra understood.

"Why would he do that?" Gilan asked. Halt, Will noticed, was watching Will the more intensely than the others. Not judgmentally, but in consideration.

"It's a drug, Gilan," Halt finally said, still watching Will closely. "It's addicting. Even when you overcome it, there will always be an urge there, a desire for one last go at it."

Suddenly, as Halt said the words, Will felt a tremor go through his body. He clenched his jaws, determined to keep his eyes on their mission and not on his internal problems.

"Forget it," he said shortly, facing the looming hallway before them. "I'll be fine. Especially with you all here to watch me."

He set off for the main room before anyone could reply. Behind him, the rest of them shared a quick glance before following Will.

The room opened up to a large eating area. Thankfully, it was well between meal times, so the room was quiet. Will knew how loud and rambunctious Skandians could be, especially when food was involved.

"Oberjarl Erak!" Will called out, stepping back one pace and crossing his hands to wait. As the others came alongside him, Gilan gave him a sidelong glance.

"You could have let me and Cassandra handle the greetings," he said ruefully. "This is a formal diplomatic meeting, after all."

Will didn't respond, but kept his eyes forward. His instincts told him that a door that sat slightly to their left would be where Erak would emerge, though he wasn't sure how he knew that. The door was just as plain as any other.

Will's suspicions were confirmed within the next few seconds, when the door swung open and a large, brutish figure stepped into the room.

"Ranger Will?" Erak's seaman's voice called, carrying through the room. His eyes swept the group in mild interest. "Ranger Halt? I wasn't aware you two would be coming."

"Yes, well," Cassandra replied quickly, before the two men could say something sarcastic. She stepped forward, smiling warmly at the oberjarl. "In the circumstances, we thought it might be wise to bring more experience. Besides, we thought you might want to see Will again."