Chapter 1

Jessie:

Shit, I think as I glance down at my watch for what feels like the hundredth time. I quicken my pace even more so that I'm nearly running down the path. Fifteen minutes left to get home. All the cars are gone. The houses that line the streets are shut, doors and windows locked, curtains drawn. I consider knocking on someone's door and begging them to let me inside but even this neighbourhood isn't friendly enough to open their doors to a stranger. Not at this time.

To think I was in this situation because of stupid homework. Me, goody two shoes Jessie was about to break the country's most enforced law over a stupid project.

I check my watch again. I still have five blocks left. I start jogging down the street towards my house desperate to get there before midnight. As I turn the corner I hear the sound of a car following behind me. I wasn't the only one risking it tonight.

I looked to see Rylan Rosette sitting in the driver's seat. Of course of all the people to be out past curfew it would be Rylan; Lightwood high's famous bad boy. The whole town seemed to know who he was and they all loved him. His bad boy charm mixed with his undeniable looks had everyone awestruck. I hate this boy. Even more than the screaming posy of girls that cling to his every word. I'm surprised he doesn't have one with him right now. Or better yet, the rest of the football team trailing behind him.

I push on further trying to make it home in time. The car pulls to a stop beside me. I freeze. As crazy as Rylan Rosette was I don't think he would attack me. But the boy is unpredictable.

"You're our past curfew" he laughs at me through his open window. I roll my eyes and continue jogging realising he only wants to mess with me. His car crawls on the road beside me.

"Get in," he insists. "I'll take you home" I could tell he wasn't playing anymore, but why does he want to take me home? What is he even doing out?

"Oh come on I know you hate me Jessie but I'm not all bad" he smiles at me. The smile most girls in this deadbeat town would be weak in the knees over. Not me. I wasn't so easily fooled. Being one of the smartest in the school paid off sometimes.

"You don't even know me, why would you give me a ride?" I ask
" I do know you, I have since we were kids" he states "and I know that it's nearly 12:00 but if you don't want a ride then that's fine" he says beginning to pull away.
"No!" I cried, surprising myself. "I do ... Please" I add as an afterthought.

Three minutes later and I was outside my house. It wasn't past curfew yet but I knew I had to get inside. Except one thing has been bugging me all through our silent drive.

"Why are you out past curfew? I know you live on the other side of town" I ask him, knowing he might just tell me to fuck off and go back to ignoring me.

He grins widely " I don't believe in the curfew"

I stare at him. Shocked. There wasn't anything to believe. The government researched everything. Thousand died before they were able to figure out that the disease only spread at night. After 12am when the air was cooler and everyone outside was exposed. Rylan was the bad boy, but surely he wasn't bad enough to risk his own life.

I don't know what to say to him. So I don't say anything. I get out of his car and sprint inside, preparing for the lecture I was about to receive from my parents. I glance one last time behind me to see Rylan Rosette driving away. Where too? I have no idea. But I knew that no one else could know about what had just happened.