Chapter 3

Rylan:

I waited outside the front of school. People watch me as they pass, confused looks on their faces wondering why I was still waiting at school. Normally I was gone by now or often before the day even ended. Me and the football team would often ditch for extra practice or to go hang out by the lake.

The guys on the team were all jerks which might be why we got along so well. They were always talking about the next girl to conquer and the rival team they were going to prank. Don't get me wrong I love those things too. The entire school knows me for those things. I've slept with half the senior girls, all the cheerleaders and I've pulled off the best pranks in history. But there's more to life than just that.

I thought for a moment about my best friend Jake. He was a bit of a loner and nobody really understood our friendship. But we understood each other and that's what counts. We also had one important thing in common. We didn't believe in the curfew, the quarantine, the midnight doom whatever you wanted to call it.

The so called disease that only came out at night and was only deadly between 12am and 4am when the temperature was colder and we were considered at higher risk. The disease broke out 50 years ago and killed millions of people in our country. All died within a day of being exposed.  Now the whole country quarantines each night before 12am as a way of controlling the disease. Or controlling us.
I don't believe a word the government tells us and I have my reasons. My proof. But anytime I try to explain my theory I'm always shut down. No one believes me. Except jake.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and check the time. She isn't coming, and she has no reason to. The school is mostly empty as I slowly walk to my car on the front street.