Chapter 6.

"You're quiet."

Zoë looked over at Marcus, who glanced at her as he drove.

A faint smile spread on her lips. "Just thinkin'."

Marcus looked at her again. "About?"

"You."

"Well crap. Should I be worried?"

Zoë laughed and gently hit his arm. Marcus grinned, and she went back to staring out the window, dancing with her memories.

~

"You're here."

Zoë's eyes snapped open to find Marcus peering down at her. Stifling a yawn, she sat up.

She had fallen asleep on the couch. Marcus came around, sitting next to her. For a long while they said nothing, Zoë rubbing her eyes, Marc staring at his hands.

Finally he looked at her. "What's your deal?"

"My deal?"

"Yeah. Why are you--" He stopped.

"Why am I what? Still here?"

"Yeah. I mean...You have a life. Don't you have college class tomorrow or something?"

Zoë laughed bitterly. "School? Please. My life consists of working, paying bills, and going to parties on weekends."

Marcus screwed up his face.

Zoë crossed her arms. "Just how old do you think I am?"

"Twenty?"

Zoë smirked.

"Twenty-one?"

Zoë jabbed her thumb downward.

"Nineteen?"

She made the same gesture.

"Okay... eighteenth."

"I'm sixteen, Marc."

"Sixteen?!"

She laughed, wiggling her eyebrows. "What, have a crush on me?"

"What?! Ew! No!"

"Oh, are you gay?"

"I'm not--what!--I'm a vampire Zoë. Jesus, stop reading Twilight! I'm surprised because you look old." Realizing what slipped out he looked horrified."I mean, not old old, you don't look old--"

Zoë cracked up. Marc growled in annoyance.

"No I meant..." He sighed, shaking his head, dropping that subject. "Why aren't you in Highschool then?"

Zoë pulled out her fake I.D. and handed it to him. He looked at it, flipped it over, and then handed it back. "That's one of the higher quality ones I've seen. I'm impressed."

"I ran away from home two years ago."

Marcus looked shocked. "Why?"

"Gee, I don't know," Zoë snapped bitterly, "maybe it has something to do with the fact I was born to a mother who was so high when she had me she named me Z.Z., after the band Z.Z. Top. I don't know who my dad even is and I have zero other relatives."

She looked at Marcus, a look of anger and misery etched onto her face. "Fuck, Marc, I barely even know who Z.Z.Top is!"

"I'm sorry. You don't have to--"

"What, talk about it? You asked," she snapped. She then sighed heavily. "Sorry."

In a move that surprised them both, he rubbed her back. She took a deep breath.