I walk into the house and start heading towards the stairs, trying to avoid confrontation. My mom grabs me by my arm.

"Where you going? I need to talk to you Avery. I found something in the bathroom. But first of all where were you when I got home?"

"I was with Kamari, he took me out to breakfast this morning." I say.

"I found this in the bathroom." She holds up a plastic bag with a white substance in it. I freeze. I must have been so high I forgot that I left it in there. 

"What the fuck is this?"

"I..." I can't even bring myself to speak. But I can't avoid my mom. Kamari was right, drugs ruin families and I need to get better before I hurt the people I love. My mom is the last close family member I have.

"I did cocaine. Only a few times. I-I'm sorry ma.. I've been struggling lately. I didn't expect you to find out this way, or even at all.."

"Are you fucking kidding me? That boy Kamari got something to do with this? I don't care where you go but get out of my house. Now."

"Ma I didn't get to-"

"I said now."

With tears in my eyes, I quickly run up the stairs to get a few of my things. I pack a bag of all the things I need. I really hope my mom isn't putting me out permanently, I guess I'll just give her a day or two, maybe she'll come around.

I run down the stairs quickly and leave out the front door without looking back. I go to sit in my car, throwing my things in the backseat. It's 1:30 pm on a Saturday, where am I gonna go? 

Out of nowhere, I bust out crying. I can't believe this is my life. My mom and I have a terrible relationship, especially now that my grandmother and brother are gone. I have no clue who my dad is. I have no one but Kamari. It's scary because if I lose him, I lose everything. 

I call Kamari. He's probably busy right now but it's either him or my aunt who lives about 45 minutes away. She and I aren't that close and I don't feel comfortable with her. 

He picks up immediately. "Avery? You okay baby girl?"

I sniffle, trying to talk normally like I wasn't crying. My voice still cracks. "A-are you busy?"

"I'm almost done handling some business, I'll be on my way to come get you as soon as I'm done, I promise."

"Can I come over and talk to you when you get home? You don't have to pick me up, I can drive myself. I'm already in the car."

"You sure baby? You don't have to."

"I'm sure baby. I don't wanna leave my car here anyways. Imma stop and get something to eat first though, so I can kill time. What do you want to eat?"

"Nah don't worry about it love I'll take care of that, just head on over here."

"Okay, see you soon."

"Aight, see you inna few."

I put on my seatbelt and put the key in the ignition. I decided to just try to relax and enjoy the ride to clear my mind. I love driving around by myself with my music blasting. I turn on my Kehlani playlist and turn up the volume before pulling off.

Neva had a moment

Where I ever questioned ya,

Questioned ya,

You already know that,

I ain't neva stressed witcha..

This is my shit. Kehlani is by far my favorite artist. She outdoes herself with every new project she drops. I sing along and nod my head to the music, feeling a little better already.