Kamari's house pictured above

I pull up to Kamari's house and I see his black Lambo already in the driveway. His house is pretty big for it to only be him living there. He's been working for Leo, the biggest kingpin in our area since he was 17. So of course he had money stacked.

I get out of my car, grab my things, and head up to the front door to ring the doorbell. Kamari opens the door and lets me walk in the door before grabbing me by the waist, pulling me in for a big hug. He kisses me on the forehead.

"Hey princess. What's wrong? You sounded like you had been crying when I talked to you on the phone." He says while still holding me, rubbing my back.

Everything hits me all over again. I can't hold my tears in and I hate it. "My mom put me out. I have nowhere to stay." Tears start streaming down my face and I'm sniffing and sobbing into Kamari's chest.

"You do have somewhere to stay. You're staying with me. I don't know why I didn't ask you to move in with me before. Your mom don't even care about you in the first place."

"Kamari you don't have to-"

"You're staying with me Avery."

"Okay." I pull away from him and wipe my tears, trying to get myself together so I can tell him the whole story.

Kamari grabs my duffel bag and takes it up to his room before coming back downstairs.
"Come sit on my lap, and whenever you ready to talk, I'm listening mamas." He sits down on the black leather couch, pulling me towards him.

I sit down on his lap and lay my head on his shoulder. "You know I hate crying in front of you."

"It's okay baby just let it all out." He gently rubs my back.

"My mom found the cocaine in the bathroom. When you dropped me off earlier she was waiting for me at the door. We didn't even talk about it, she just told me to get out. She assumed you had something to do with it."

"That ain't no surprise, she never liked me anyway. I don't care. What matters is that you're with me now and Imma take care of you." He puts both arms around my waist and holds me tighter.

"I just need to get better and stop relying on tripping on drugs to make me feel better. I know Travis wouldn't want me to follow the same path as him."

"No he wouldn't baby girl. So let's make a promise to each other. I'm gonna stop dealing and you're gonna stop using."

"For real? How else are you gonna make your money?"

"I'll find a way. Don't worry about it, I got us. You hungry? I bought us some food to eat from T's."

"Yess, my favorite place to eat. You know me so well baby." I smile.

"Of course I do, anything to see you smile and make you happy. Let's go eat." He kisses me on the cheek.

We sit at the table and eat. After we finish, we go upstairs and cuddle in his bed while watching reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

"I'm sleepy, I'm taking a nap." I get comfortable on his chest and pull the soft plush blanket up to my face.

He laughs. "You're such a big baby, you know that?"

Within minutes I drift off and I'm asleep.

I wake up to the sound of Kamari's phone ringing. I look at the digital clock on the wall beside where the TV is hanging. 7:47 pm. 

Kamari leans over to the nightstand to pick up his phone.

"Hello?"

"Bro get ya ass over here right now!!! Shit went down at the trap, Leo got shot in the head twice!!" 

I can hear even though it's not on speaker. I start panicking like crazy.

"Aiight bro, I'm on my way!"

Kamari hangs up and I pretend like I'm still sleeping.