Night 2-Shadows

A/N

The song for this chapter is Hide and Seek Nightcore edition. Make that star gold!

It was the dead of the night, and the small bedroom of a child was illuminated by the moonlight. Quiet as a mouse, the windows blew open, and a shadow fell across the floor. This shadow whispered of dark things, delicious and tantalus things that only some could hear. Only ones capable of harboring darkness could hear these thoughts. This child was like all the others; unknowing and unseeing. The shadow, no matter how hard it tried, it could not be seen. This child was not someone capable of harboring darkness. The signs had pointed to this house, this neighborhood, this city. In this house, a dark soul awaited the shadow. A sharp and cold wind blew across the room, causing the child's eyes to flutter open. She shivered, and rose to close the window. The shadow suddenly sensed something coming towards the door. A dark soul was just behind the door.

There was a creak, and a head popped in the room. "Is everything ok in-"

The girl looked at the shadow, screamed, and her body crumpled on the floor. Come to me. The shadow hissed at her, beckoning her with it's shadowy claws. The girl shook her head, and began to run away, stumbling to get away. "Sissy!" The little girl screamed after her, not understanding. She couldn't see the shadow, so why would she understand?

You will be mine. The shadow hissed, and jumped towards her with its claws extended.

The girl screamed and grappled for a weapon, anything to defend herself against something so scary. Her hands closed around the nearest thing she had; a flower vase. She threw it at the creature with a cry, but the vase simply passed through the thing and smashed against the wall. Her sister's screams were echoing throughout the house, making her ears ring. ¨SHUT UP!¨ She yelled, and slapped her hands over her ears. The shadow sensed it's opening, and lashed out at the girl. She flew backwards with a yelp, sending her down the stairs onto the landing. Struggling to get up, the girl was semi-conscious, her gaze fading in and out. The door was just down the hallway, and if she could escape and find anyone to help her, this terrifying adventure would end. Her phone was still in her pocket...wait. Wouldn't this be the time that the girl in distress calls someone for help? No one would hear her, but her phone was her only hope. She ripped it out of her pocket and called the first number on her phone. ¨Hello?¨ A voice answered, sending ripples of hope throughout her body. ¨Help me! There's this shadow thing and-¨

The phone clattered to the ground as the shadow dragged her down the hall. She screamed and clawed at the ground, but to no avail. He threw her out the door and into the street, banging her head against a lamppost. You are mine.

"Leila! LEILA!" A boy was screaming into the phone, his face looking scared beyond belief. "Pick up! What's going on?" The ringing stopped and her voicemail came on. "Hey, you've reached Leila! Leave me your number, and maybe I'll call you! Thanks! Bu-bye!" BEEP!

He closed his phone with a sigh, and threw it on the table. "You know, calling her like that is just going to annoy her." The girl next to him spoke with a sigh. "She always answers her phone! She hates leaving people hanging! SHE TOLD ME THAT!" He spoke hysterically, punching the number into his phone again. ¨SHE CALLED ME FOR A REASON, SHE WOULDN'T HANG UP UNLESS SHE WAS FORCED TO!¨

A hand reached over and pried the phone out of his hand. "Kalia, give that back!" He snarled, and lunged for the phone. "Give that back!"

Kalia glared at him, and stuffed the phone down her shirt.

"Really, Kalia? I don't want to reach down there, thanks." She just gave him a smug look and turned away from him.

"You need to stop freaking out. She's fine." Her voice had a tired undertone to it, like she was worried too.The boy just shook his head with a forlorn look on his face. "Look at me, Cayden. LOOK AT ME!" He turned around, his back to her. There was suddenly a stinging sensation on the back of his head, and he turned to see Kalia's hand retreating. Cayden just stared at her. "Are you ready to listen now?" She snapped. Cayden blinked, touching the back of his head gingerly. ¨That hurt." He said plainly. ¨And maybe.¨

Kalia just sighed and stared up at the sky, her blue eyes filled with sadness. As violent and annoying as she was, Kalia was Leila's friend too. They were sisters to each other, the only girl Leila had ever connected too. But Leila had been pulling back recently, and the two had a huge fight last month. Leila hasn't talked to her since, and Kalia was all the more worried. Leila had been...fantasizing lately. The other day, she had been sitting next to him on the bus to school, and she had fallen asleep. The things she began whispering in her sleep were very dark and disturbing. Something was wrong with her, and something was taking over her mind. One by one, Leila's strange antics drove away her friends; all except Cayden. He knew that Leila was a good person, someone who was sweet and kind. Whatever had happened on the phone wasn't because of her.

Was Leila going to be ok? Maybe he should head on over, just in case. That phone call... was... disconcerting. It almost sounded like she was in trouble.

¨Cayden, no. Stay.¨

Cayden looked over at Kalia, who was smiling softly, but was firm with her voice. ¨If it makes you feel better, you can call the police, but you're not going over there.¨ He knew there was no arguing with her when she sounded like that, so he just picked up his phone, and dialed the 3 digit number he had never called before.

"SISSY!" The little girl screamed from her doorway. "Are you ok?" Tears were streaming down her face, her hands shaking. The door was hanging from its hinges, long slashes thrown across it. Blood splattered the floor, and the picture frames hanging by the door had fallen and the glass had cracked.

"Come here." A voice from behind her whispered. The child froze, then turned slowly.

Kill her.

The little girl's eyes widened, and she opened her mouth to scream.

No noise came. The world became cold and still.

Sirens quickly began filling the air, piercing the still air. They were getting louder, and lights were making their way to the house.

Go before someone gets here. I will hide you, child of the darkness.

She was gone, and the darkness celebrated their victory.

Helpless, says this girl.

Hopelessness, says this girl.

Darkness, says this girl.

She is the shadow.

The shadow is her.

They are opposites, yet they are blending together in a horrific beauty.

So appealing, so pretty.

The darkness.

I crave it.

There is something hidden in this dream through all this raw emotion.

Where is she hiding?

Where can she go?

There are not many places that darkness can go in a world filled with light.

You will have to travel far, far away.

You will have to hide in the depths of your mind, in the most buried and repressed visions.

Make those visions real again.

Have them appear again, for they were beautiful.