Chapter 33

The routine fell into place easily as school continued. Staci entered their bedroom after dropping Lily at school and smiled when she saw her husband still sound asleep. He had come in late the night before so she wasn't surprised that he was still out. She closed the door as she left the room, leaving him to sleep.

"Mama" AJ said.

"What baby?" she asked.

"There's a lady at the door."

Staci walked over and looked out. She was stunned to see Emily Gallindo. She opened the door slowly.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Is EZ here?" Emily asked her.

"Yes, he and Angel are both here."

"I only need to talk to EZ."

"Emily, what's going on?"

"It's really nothing. I swear. I just need to talk to him."

Staci nodded and moved to wake her brother in law up. He stared at her confused for a moment.

"Emily is here, Ezekiel," she said.

"Why?" he asked.

"You will have to ask her that yourself."

He nodded and got up. He went to see what she wanted. Staci just rolled her eyes. She didn't want to see EZ caught up in something that would hurt him.

He came back inside and flopped back down on the couch. Staci stared at him for a minute.

"You good?" she asked.

"Yeah," he replied.

"Y'all were out late last night."

"Club shit. Took a while."

"I guess."

She walked into the kitchen to decide on dinner. Angel practically stumbled out of their room ranting about birds being too loud and annoying. Staci just chuckled as she watched him. He made himself a cup of coffee. He grumbled about annoying birds the whole time.

"Baby, you should have closed the window. One of these days those birds are going to attack you," she said, a smirk on her face.

"Well that would suck," he said.

She began to laugh as he stalked toward her. She took a step back. A playful smile had landed on her husband's lips.

"Come here, you," he said.

"Angel," she began.

"Lily at school?"

She nodded.

"AJ watching cartoons?" he asked.

"For now," she said.

"Babies are?"

"Sleeping."

He nodded as his arms went around her and he dragged her back to their room. He kicked the door shut as she began to giggle.

"You know your brother is in our living room," she said.

"You want him to join?" Angel asked grinning.

"You are disgusting."

She lightly hit him. He laughed and pulled her against his chest.

"Angel," she said seriously.

"What?" he asked.

"Emily was here to talk to EZ."

"Ok?"

"I don't want to see him get hurt."

"He is a big boy, Stace."

She nodded. She still worried about him though. Especially after he had been there for her when all of Angel's bullshit was occurring.

"I will talk to him, babe," he said, laying down next to her.

"Yeah?" she asked.

He nodded. She smiled and kissed his lips. He ran his fingers thru her hair.

"So now that the mood is ruined," he joked.

"I'm sorry baby. I am just worried about him," she said, trailing her finger along his jaw line.

"He will be all right. I know my brother."

She nodded. He sighed.

"I missed you last night," she said.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"I hate sleeping without you."

"So now isn't the time to tell you there is a run tomorrow that is an overnighter huh?"

Her face fell. He pulled her against his chest.

"I'm sorry, mi dulce," he said.

"I know. It's club shit," she said, looking away from him.

"It is, but I will behave I promise."

"Angel."

"Stace, I don't like leaving you guys any more than you like me leaving."

She nodded. Her fear over him leaving was way different now that they had kids together. She wasn't sure what she would do if she had to tell the kids their daddy was never coming home. Angel gently stroked her arm as he watched the range of emotions cross her face.

"Just promise me that you will be careful," she whispered.

"Of course baby," he said.

"Runs scare the hell outta me."

"I know they do."

"I don't want to lose you."

"You won't babe. I will always come back."

"Angel, you can't promise me that. What if something happens?"

"Baby, when it's my time to go, it's just my time. I know you will be taken care of. I promise you."

He kissed the top of her head.

"I really just wanted to snuggle you for a while," he said.

"Oh if the guys could see you now," she joked.

"I would kill them all."

She laughed. He leaned over her to capture her lips with his. She moved her hand to the back of his neck and deepened it. He gently ran his fingers down her sides and smiled when she shivered.

"You're so beautiful," he said, softly.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too."

She gave in to his loving and relaxed under his touch. He took his time with her, loving every inch of her body. He savored her like it would be the last time.