Prologue

–––– The present day

The raven-haired girl couldn't settle down. She just couldn't stand still. The traumatic images simply seemed to continue chasing her every time she closed her eyes. The teen was shaking with fear.

"Triana. I have to ask you some questions." The inspector asked.

The young brunette seemed unable to make eye contact with the redhead as she felt the slightest rational thought leave her mind. Instead she was only convinced that her testimony would lead her to prison. It doesn't matter if Ivan was with her in the room or not.

She had nothing to do with the murder of her friend. On the contrary, she had just tried to help her. All her friends had tried to help her and now they all got involved in this.

"I didn't kill her." Assured the young brunette immediately as she looked up from her hands cross on the metal table.

Inspector Aroyo was a tenacious woman. And also the godmother of the girl currently in the chair in front of her. Triana knew her well enough to know that she was competent in her work. It was a relief to know that the case of the murder of her friend was not being handled by incompetent people.

Never once in her life has Cristina Aroyo imagined interrogating her goddaughter in the context of a criminal investigation and yet there she was. She let a sigh pass between her lips as she looked up at the traumatized girl's father.

Ivan crossed his arms over his chest before advancing towards the table to take the available chair next to his daughter. He put his hand on her shoulder letting the brunette look up at her father while swallowing."All we need is some information. Anything that could help us find your friend's murderer."

Triana again felt the sobs assail her as she thought back to all the events leading up to a murder. There had been so much tension built up since the arrival of the new scholarship students. So much pain. She couldn't even remember the last thing she did. Even less what she could have done to help her friend.

All she knew was that she couldn't speak. Not after what she saw.

She still remembered the bloody body of the auburn-haired girl. The smile on her lips quickly fading into stupor. For a moment she thought that all these problems had been miraculously resolved, and the next she watched one of her closest friends drag the auburn girl into the pool locker room. And then the second after, she saw another friend of hers coming out of the pool with a bloody shirt, tears on his cheeks and a livid expression that could rival those horrible zombie movies that Luz loved.

"Did you see something?" Asked Cristina again.

Triana turned her head to the redhead before shaking her head, tears silently running down her cheeks."We're not-we're not murderers. W-we didn't do anything wrong. I swear. We did nothing. We wouldn't have done anything to her."